Chapter 4

I could feel the warm sun beating down on me from inside the car. I love the feeling of knowing there is no more school! At least for the next couple of months. No more stress. No more bullies. Just freedom.
Finally we reached our destination in Tampa Florida. Oh how I missed it. It's been... Well a year since we've vacationed here. I got out of the car to feel my bare feet hit the burning white sand. I starred at the beautiful crystal blue water. I couldn't wait to cool off in there.

"Nixie!" Ryan called to me breaking my thoughts of this beautiful place.

"Yeah?!" I called back.

"Are you hungry? I can grill up some hotdogs and hamburgers!"

"Sure." I said.

I began to walk back to Hannah and Ryan then I saw him.

Aaron Colt!

My heart melted as I watched him sit on top of the watch tower. I had no idea he had a summer job as a lifeguard.

"Aaron! I'm ready for my swimming lesson!" I heard a familiar voice call to him. I turned to see Elizabeth in her perfect purple bikini.

I rolled my eyes. It was stupid that I thought I had a chance with him.

I walked to the beach chairs and sat down.

"Friends of yours?" Hannah asked.

"No." I replied.

"Well that guy looks cute." Hannah said.

"Oh yeah?!" I said as if I didn't even notice.

"Time to eat." Ryan said cutting our conversation short. I got up preparing my hamburger and then sitting down. Taking a bite I sunk my teeth into the perfect burger.

"Ryan! This is amazing!"

"Thanks." He replied.

"Yeah why do you think I'm gonna marry him." Hannah said chuckling.

"Hey!" Ryan said playing along.

"Babe, I'm kidding."

So we continued to talk for another 35 minutes then Hannah went to go sunbathe and Ryan went to clean the grill.

Sitting in the shade board, I decided to go take a dip in the cold ocean.

As I was making my way to the water I watched people throwing footballs, frisbee, and playing happy sack. Not noticing where I was going I ran into something that caused me to fall to the ground. I looked up to see his beautiful eyes.

"Oh hey, sorry Nixie." He said holding out his hand to help me up. Holy crap he knows my name!

"You know me?" I asked stupidly.

"Yeah, you do to Darlington right?"

"Yeah, but how did you remember my name?"

"Who could forget a beautiful name like Nixie?"

I blushed as he helped me up.

"Thanks." I said.

"No problem."

Ask him to your sisters wedding!! A voice in my head screamed.

I was staring at him with a stupid look on my face.

"Yeah," he continued with a grin. "I gotta get back to work. I hope I can see you really soon."

"Okay bye." I said with a grin.

I watched as he went back to sit down. Then I turned around and Elizabeth was laughing.

"Ha ha! Aww it's sweet that Nixie thinks she has a chance with Arron."

"Leave me alone Elizabeth! God you're so annoying!"

"Well I might be annoying but, at least my mom isn't a slut. Is that why we we never see her? Never hear about her?"

I never understood why people pick on other people when they don't get the chance to know them.

"What do you know about my mother? I barely knew my mother! For all I know she's dead!" I said furiously as she walked away.
I started to the ocean to swim, get my mind off of Elizabeth.

The farther I got the warmer the water, then colder. I finally could feel myself relax.

Suddenly I felt something wrap around my ankles and I began to freak out. I then began chocking on water. Then my whole body went under...... Just like my dream.
I began to look around to see if I saw anything unusual. In the distance I could have sworn I saw a half fish half human. Believing my eyes and not thinking twice, I try to swim upwards to the surface. Whatever was wrapped around me refused to let go. I began to sink as I became breathless. I could feel my body becoming weak from the lack of oxygen. I started to notice my vision was beginning to fade but, the last thing I saw was hands clasping around my wrist.

I could feel myself popping out of the water. I could feel myself being cradled. My body bounced up and down with every step the person made. Then I felt them bend over and lay me in the hot, burning sand. I could feel hands apon my chest, right above my heart. The hands began to press against my rib cage. Then they would stop and press their lips against mine as if they were kissing me. Wait..... Compressions, mouth to mouth. Are they Giving me CPR?! Am I dying? Or already dead? No, I can't be. I can feel everything.
Suddenly I could hear them talking. It was kind of slurred at first then it started becoming more and more clear.

"I have a pulse! It's faint but I have a pulse!" I heard.

"Nixie, it's Aaron,"

AARON!!!! My inside voice shouted!

"If you can hear me I need you to open your eyes."

With all the strength I had I tried to follow Aaron's command. I slowly open my eyes to a blurry Aaron. I saw him smile as I felt other arms touch me. The next thing I knew I saw two paramedics push Aaron out of the way to get my pulse and to put me on a stretcher. Still weak I mouthed to Aaron, I'm sorry and he mouthed back, it's okay.
I could feel myself about to pass out from the lack of air but, right before I did, I saw Elizabeth trying to get Aaron's attention. It was pretty funny actually.
Then I watch one of the paramedics close the door and watched Aaron fade in the distance. Then everything blacked out.