You Run!

It took Pete a moment to collect himself. His breathing had almost gone back to normal. By the time the Widow left, his heartbeat was a little slower but stronger. That wasn't even the real issue though. It was his mind that wouldn't still. The thoughts bubbling in his brain, practically overflowing.

His right, sling-less arm was enough for him to push himself back to his feet. He couldn't sit there any longer. The pacing helped, almost like it lifted some of the nervous energy. It didn't slow his thoughts at all though. His worries for May. The newly added guilt he felt about her being in this position, about how hard it was on Mr. Stark too. All that because of him.

A loud and desperate groan rolled off his lips. That wasn't even why he had come up to the roof. He had just wanted to—

He had wanted to call Ned. Had just wanted to talk to his friend to feel a little more... little more normal again. That was still something he could do. Maybe it would be even more important for him to just air his brain out with his best friend than before. One deep breath and Pete pulled the phone from his pocket. Ned's name was right there in his favorited contacts.

His fingers were shaking and Pete let the phone sink for a moment, cursing his own ridiculous reaction to this. It was Ned. He had never been nervous to talk to Ned before. Who would be, calling their best friend?

"Okay," he muttered to himself. "Just... just do it. It'll be fine...." Another deep breath and his phone was ringing. His nerves were still on edge though and he was pacing back and forth. There was static in his ears or the beat of his heart, some white noise that didn't help with his nerves.

When Ned finally answered, his voice sounded a little apprehensive. "Hello?"

Pete's body shook but he couldn't afford to be shy now. "Hi, Ned... It's... erm... it's me."

There was only silence on the other line.

"Ned?"

"Prove it."

"I..." His feet came to a sudden stop, his body a little more alert. "What do you mean? You have my number in your phone."

"Yeah, anyone could mask that. Anyone could distort their voice like that. You know who I learned that from? My best friend!"

His jaw popped open and for just a moment, he was stunned. Then his lips stretched out in a wide smile, wide enough to make his eyes water and he couldn't suppress the deep laugh that bubbled out of his throat. "I really missed you, you know."

The voice on the other end of the line hesitated. "I... I said proof, I need... just... just some proof..."

"Alright, okay, erm..." Pete bit his lip, trying to breathe away his emotions but he couldn't help the smile that was still on his face. "I guess you'll have to ask me something that only I will know, right?"

"That's a trick question!"

He froze, his mind swirling. "What... what do you mean? How is that a trick question?"

"I... I don't know..." Ned huffed and puffed, wringing for something to say. "Hey, I'm supposed to ask you the questions!"

He would have groaned. He would have groaned and pulled his hair and maybe even facepalmed, but he couldn't help a teary giggle and that wide smile. "I really missed you, Ned." And he meant that.

For a moment, he didn't hear anything, only silence. "Peter, is that really you?"

He pressed his eyes shut, teeth biting his lower lip.

There was a bit of the commotion on Ned's end of the line. "He's not really, is he, you doofus. That's the whole damn problem."

His eyes shot open at once.