Loki - Speak

"Loki, are you here?"  you ask, turning the corner into yet another hallway.  You were supposed to meet Loki in the gardens, but even after waiting for an hour, your childhood best friend never showed up.  You decided to go looking for him, but not even Heimdall knew his whereabouts.  You had even asked Thor, who was usually diligent about these things, but he didn't know either; now he accompanied you, he volunteering to help you on your search

       You knew why Loki wanted to meet with you.  Every Thursday afternoon, you two would discuss Shakespeare, this wonderful human being Loki would boast about.  Apparently he wrote many sonnets and dramas, and Loki was able to retrieve copies of his writings.  He would drop them off at your room, and this afternoon, you two were to discuss each other's thoughts on Macbeth.

        "Did you try Jotunheim?"  Thor questions.

       You knew about Loki's heritage.  You were among the last of his peers to know, he too ashamed to first tell you himself.  But you weren't bothered by it.  In fact, now whenever he felt left out and different, he came to you for comfort.

        "Did you ask anyone else yet?"

        "No, just you and Heimdall.  I figure you were the best one out of all of us."

        "Let's go ask Frandal."

        Frandal was helping to train new warriors.  When you both approach him, the training stops, and he turns around.

        "What a pleasant surprise.  Are you here to finally accept a stroll around the palace grounds?"

        Frandal has asked you many times on a romantic walk, but each time you declined.  You roll your eyes, causing Thor to smile.

        "No, but have you seen Loki?"

        "I haven't seen him in an hour, but he did give me this to give to you."  Frandal hands you a small, cream envelope closed with the Asgardian seal.  "He said he apologzies for keeping you.  I was going to give it to you after this session."

        "It's okay.  Thanks."

        You and Thor start to walk back inside.  Curiousity gets the better of you, and you start to peel back the seal gently.

        "What's inside?"

        You take out a small, folded piece of paper.  You open it.

        "A note."  You look at it more closely.  "Actually, a sonnet."

        "What's a sonnet?" Thor asks, but you don't answer him.  You just slow your pace, eventually coming to a complete stop as you read, Thor looking over your shoulder:

As an unperfect actor on the stage,
Who with his fear is put besides his part,
Or some fierce thing replete with too much rage,
Whose strength’s abundance weakens his own heart;
So I, for fear of trust, forget to say
The perfect ceremony of love’s rite,
And in mine own love’s strength seem to decay,
O'ercharged with burden of mine own love’s might.
O let my books be then the eloquence
And dumb presagers of my speaking breast,
Who plead for love and look for recompense
More than that tongue that more hath more expressed.
O learn to read what silent love hath writ!
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.

        "What does it mean?" Thor questions.  You fold up the piece of paper and look right into Thor's eyes.  You could see the manner in which he was looking at you, and in his eyes, you saw the same gaze that Thor depicts when he looks at Jane; the fear that he was trying so hard to conceal; the uneasiness of being vulnerable and relinquishing control over to you.

        "Loki."  The image of Thor disappears, and you're left looking at your best friend, a pale man with green eyes, jet black hair, and a gold helmet with bull horns.

        "Now if you don't mind," he speaks, a lump caught in his throat, "I'll take my leave now."

        "No, wait," you respond, instinctively reaching for his hand before he's able to run off, but it disappears before you, along with the rest of his body.  You look around, now realizing that the hallway was filled with many pillars.

        "I'm not leaving here until you come out."  After a moment, a bunch of clone Lokis, one from behind each golden column.

        "Must you take me so literally?"  The figures smile.  "Okay, the real you."

        "Find me," a voice surrounds you, none of the figures mouths moving.

        "Weren't our pranks supposed to happen to other people?" you ask, turning around to get a good look at each Loki.

        "Just this once."  After a moment of quick examination, you stop turning and look at one.  Instantly, you're drawn to it, and you start walking.  As you do, the other figures disappear into the same figure.

        "How did you know?"

        "I've always known, even when you were posing as Thor.  Your eyes give it away so easy."

        "Then why did you keep looking for me?"

        "I wanted to see how long you would keep it up, and for what purpose."

        "You're smarter than I figured you for."

        "A backhanded compliment, but I'll take it."  Loki smiles.

        "But do you understand what I was trying to say?"

        "But just like that 'unperfect actor," you voice,' "the show must go on."  Loki's face turns even more pale, he striken with fear.  "Just tell me, even if it's not the most perfect way you can think of.  We've always been honest to each other about opinions of people."

        "Just not about each other, I'm afraid."

        "Then you start."

        "I think I'm already spoken for."

        "Written for, actually."

        "Must you be so literal?" he asks you, teasing you for your eariler antic.

        "If the shoe fits.  Even if the shoe is a procrastinating mechanism."  He just stares at you.  You smirk playfully.

        "Is Loki the Prince of Asgard speechless?  For once, does he show fear?"  You knew that would irk him to no end.  He folds his hands behind his back.

        "Are you mocking me?"

        "Am I?" you sarcastically.  He steps closer to you.

        "Fine," he says sternly with newfound courage and speed.  "To be completely abrupt, you're the closest friend I've ever had.  I trust you with my life.  Sometimes I feel you know me more than I do.  And another thing, I find you not only whimsical, but also quite beautiful.  Furthermore, it irritates me when Frandal asks for a date because I never know if one day you will say yes, and I scorn the day that happens.  And it frightens me to think that possibly one day you will forget me and how I may feel, just as all the others do.  Now, does that satisfy you?"

        "Was that solliquy so hard?"

        "Terrifying, actually."

        "You know you must always be perfectly frank with me."  He laughs.

        "So you can tease me endlessly, is that right?"  You smile back.

        "I do recall that the mockery is mutual."  He slips his cold hands into your warm ones.

        "But are the feelings mutual?"  You stare right back into his eyes, shining like emeralds.  You don't even have to say anything, for the answer lies in your own eyes.  Loki leans down, tenderly connecting his lips with yours and holding your cheek gently.  He places his forehead against yours, and you feel your noses barely touch.

        "It'd be an honor to hold your heart," Loki says, lips skimming yours.

        "Likewise."