“Please also tell your gran that my family will be bringing lobola and izibizo on the same day.”
“You guys are so sure of yourself. What if the negotiations don’t go well?” I have so many enemies that if they were to hear that the empress is somehow engaged to wed, they would put a bounty on my fiancé’s head.
“Why are you saying that? You don’t want them to go well?” he asks with hurt written all over his face.

“No babe. That’s not what I am saying. You know sometimes there are conflicts that may lead to the negotiations not coming to an end.” Right now I sound like devil’s advocate. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything.
“Do you still want to get married to me?”
“Yes I do babe. Forget I said anything. So is your family going to be needing a list?”
“Yeah, as soon as possible.”
“Okay. I will talk to gran and then she will compile it. What will you be wearing on that day?” I ask with a silly smile on my face.
“That my soon-to-be wife will be a surprise.”
“Babes no offence, but your dressing style for special occasion sucks. I can get my stylist to sort you out.”
“But I don’t want you to see my outfit prior.” He says in a small voice. I laugh at him. The waiter brings out food and then leaves. We start eating.
“I will get him to contact you and you guys will set up an appointment. I won’t be there. But please know that you aren’t wearing loafers.”
“But they are comfortable.”

“Wear them and I will send your negotiators back with those gifts.” He continues sulking and I just laugh at him. We finish eating and I settle the bill. He drives me home and then he drives to work. I get inside and find gran eating.
“Was that Silungile?”
“Yes.”
“How far are you with the Bo problem?”
“You gave me 3 days and it hasn’t lapsed yet which means I am handling it.” She rolls her eyes and continue eating. “Anyways the Ndaba family will also be bringing izibizo on the day of lobola. They want to kill 2 birds with one stone. So they need a list of things to buy from you.” She nods.

“We are going to have dinner at your parents’ house so that I can inform them about this. I also called other family members to be there. I will have to draft the list with your mother so that she can specify what she wants from her in laws.”
“What do you want from your in laws gran?”

“A Michael Kors Channing silver dial stainless steel watch and a Bvlgari cocktail clutch.” My jaws drop to the floor. The watch is about R5k and the bag is about R10k. I know she is serious. She won’t change her mind. “For Ty I only want an Octo Finissimo silver watch. Your father will ask for the dramatic long coat, hat and shit.”
“Gran this is too much. Silungile will definitely unengage me.” she laughs.

“You are the only grandchild I get to have a say in their wedding so let me have this in peace mtakabawo.” I laugh at her. Living with Ty has changed her accent. She speaks like an Italian woman. Gran and Ty went to live at Italy after mom was born for about 5 years but I think Ty was running away from something. So gran adapted to the language and their accent. She is very fluent in Italian.

“Assicurati solo che tua figlia e figlio in legge non scrivono cose costose su quella lista. (Just make sure your daughter and son in law don’t write expensive things on that list.)”
“Anche la coperta più economica ĕ buona per loro. (Even the cheapest blanket is good for them.)” I laugh again. Once she starts dissing my parents she doesn’t stop.

“Vorrei che fosse qui per camminare lunge il corridoio. (I wish he was here to walk me down the aisle.)” She chuckles.
“Don’t wish that. If he was still alive you’d be single because he didn’t see any man in this lifetime worthy of you. His precious gem.”

We continue talking about Ty. I change my clothes because I was still wearing yesterday’s clothes. Later I go visit Muriel. She looks better. She informs me that he doctor is releasing her tomorrow. We talk about few things and then I head to Thompson Tech. I find Kamva and Nokuthula eating and laughing. They update me about the work they have done already. I then head to the medic warehouse. My brother is still unconscious but the doctors inform me that his health is improving.