Chapter 12

"Fetch the stick, juniper berries, and raspberry leaves! A kitting!" Jayfeather called.

Dreamcloud lay on the ground, writhing. Her eyes were glazed with pain. She let out a gasp as she felt another sharp jab at her belly.

"You'll be fine," Starstream soothed, her green eyes full of warmth.

"It'll be over soon," Alderheart promised.

Dreamcloud winced as she felt another kick. She flinched as she felt a jab. Dreamcloud squirmed like a helpless kit, her eyes wide and full of pleading.

"Let this stop!" Dreamcloud prayed, "Please StarClan, I would rather join you than suffer this! Death is nothing compared to this!"

"Eat." Starstream commanded, nudging a few juniper berries to Dreamcloud.

Dreamcloud gulped the berries down obediently, still gasping in pain.

"A kit is coming!" Alderheart exclaimed, fetching a stick.

"Bite on it." Jayfeather urged.

Dreamcloud felt a kit push out and she felt unbearable pain wash over her. She bit on the stick so hard that it splintered, wood flying in all directions. She blocked the screech of pain that would have came tumbling out of her mouth if not for her stick.

A wet bundle slid out of Dreamcloud's belly.

Starstream immediately licked it backwards and got the kit breathing.

Jayfeather fetched another stick and placed it beside Dreamcloud. Then she placed some raspberry leaves on Dreamcloud's belly, which was stained blood-red, and blood still pooled out.

Dreamcloud didn't have to be told to bite the stick this time. Wood filled Dreamcloud's jaws and she spat them out after another kit slid out. And a final kit slid out.

Alderheart licked the kits until they too, started to breathe.

Starstream prodded Dreamcloud's belly with a paw.

"No more!"Alderheart mewed. "Well done! Three she-cats!"

Dreamcloud gazed feebly at Starstream, wheezing, "Am I done?"

"Yes," Starstream replied.

Other shrieks split the silence as Dreamcloud craned her head. Her sister had kits, too!"

Acornfall and Sweetcloud's mate, Graypelt padded into the den.

"Let's call them Silverkit, Copperkit, and Sparkkit!" suggested Acornfall.

Dreamcloud nodded and called to Sweetcloud, "My kits are Silverkit, Copperkit, and Sparkkit!"

Sweetcloud yowled, "My kits are Bravekit, Goldenkit, and Lilykit!"