chapter 6 | Secret

"Kook?!" my stepbrother bursts into the room, and I roll my chair around in the fastest manner, rushing my hand out of my pants as I rush of blood just hit my brain. "Get out!" I yell nervously, realizing what he just interrupted and maybe saw. "I just...wanted to tell you I'm going to bed..." his awkward voice makes me understand right away that he figured out what was happening in here, but he leaves, closing the door behind him. 

Goddammit. He ruined everything.

— Next day —

Wednesday, September 24, 2019.

7:20 am.

"What the hell is that?!" the voice of my mom echoing through the house scares me to death right when I left my bedroom. I peek at her who's on my left, standing before Jungeun's bedroom.

Holy shit. 

She turns towards me but makes me freeze on my spot, before passing before me and shouting my stepbrother's name. I pray for him to say it's because of the cat and not me. I follow her a bit quietly, walking on her angry steps as she's heading to the dining room, or more like the dining table since everything is opened in this house. 

"Jungeun!" her voice never ceases piercing through my eardrums, but I reach these two humans and keep my eyes on my stepbrother who's eating. "What the hell did you do with your door?!" she shows her anger, but he suddenly seems less nervous, as if he was expecting her to bring something else up that could have gotten him in trouble. "Oh, that's not me," he smirks but raises his eyes to me as I was silently pouring some milk in my bowl. He chews on his cereals, but our mother asks who it was. 

I nibble on my inner cheek with a lot of anxiety, but he smirks and glances down, "Bubble, she ran into it, but I didn't see her and closed the door, so that kinda broke it," he doesn't tell the truth to make sure I won't get scolded, and I breathe out. "You hurt my baby?!"

I knew she would be worried about our cat. "Mom, she's the one who ran into it, it's not my fault if she's dumb, and she isn't hurt," he rolls his eyes but eats, so now that I'm relaxed, I add my favorite cereals in the cold liquid and tidy up to join him at the table. "You're dumb too, but that's not a reason for me to hurt you!"

"It was an accident!" he still tells a lie, "And I pet her afterward because I felt bad, but she was purring, so she was okay. Stop worrying," he makes up a whole story with no hesitation or hint of difficulty, but I remain quiet and enjoy my breakfast. "I'm gonna get her to the vet, I don't care," she never feels relieved about it and leaves us.

I watch her walk up the stairs, and once she disappears behind the walls, I look at him. "Thank you," I mumble but see a smirk form on his face, "You owe me something."

"I know," I sigh but hear the footsteps of someone else come closer. As soon as I catch sight of the long legs in a pair of tight and black trousers, I know it's my stepfather. 

"Do you have a test in French today?" Jungeun questions me as I was about to ask someone to the man I call dad now, but I shake my head, "No, I was supposed to have one two days ago, but she postponed it because I told her I didn't understand anything."

"Tch, now she postpones a test just for you?" he raises his eyebrows and puts his spoon down. I don't answer him now that he's drinking his milk from the bowl but only focuses on our dad, who's getting a bottle of orange juice out of the fridge. "Dad?" 

"Yeah?" he closes the door and turns towards the kitchen island. "Can I...can you give me some money, please? I had to buy something important yesterday, and I barely have enough left for a sandwich..."