Relic

Adavain's breath came in quick, anxious gasps as she carefully looked around a corner and into the chamber beyond.  And found that breath catching at what she saw there.

It was the heart of the keep.  Dark, filled with flickering light cast from a handful of candle stick stands; it was a foreboding place that screamed 'go away!'.  Especially with the coffin-like box the laborers were carefully leaning up against the wall.

"Careful, careful!"  Brennan snarled when the box suddenly slipped out of sweaty hands to crack sharply against the stone wall.

"If you put as much as a scratch in that relic, I'll dangle you all from the walls by your entrails!"

"Apologies, milord."  One of the laborers knuckled his forehead.  "The lads are tired, with the rain n' all.  They're doing their best.  But if we've displeased you, then punish me, not them.  I recruited them."

Adavain felt a muscle in her jaw jump with tension and anger as a handful of the sheriff's men leapt forward to take hold of the big man who talked, quick kicks to the back of his knees dropping him onto the cold flagstones.  A dagger appeared in one hand, ready to slit the laborer's throat.

The sheriff, lord Brennan's dark hound, then slowly looked from the downed laborer to Brennan, who's expression was one of disinterest.  Without a word passing between them, the sheriff then stepped forward to pull a tallow wax candle from its holder and hold it close to the relic, his dark eyes narrowed as he searched for damage done.  It took only a moment.

"It appears unmarked, sire."  The sheriff reported in his hard voice, replacing the candle and dusting off his hands.

"Very well.  The four of you may leave.  Breathe a word of what you've seen here, and not only will you die, but your families as well."  Brennan delivered his warning with well practised words, almost looking bored as he did so.

Yet the laborers didn't move, those that still stood looking from their foreman to the lean figure of the sheriff then back again.  Only when an almost imperceptible nod came from Brennan's hound did the sheriff's men let the foreman go to climb laboriously to his feet.  There he once again knuckled his forehead, a gesture of respect copied by his men, then they unceremoniously trooped back up the ramp and out of sight.

Brennan sucked at his teeth as he casually watched the laborers go.  Then:

"Take her."

Adavain gasped as hard hands closed around her arms.  Then she was unceremoniously dragged from her impromptu hiding place.

"Well, well."  Brennan rasped, his eyes glittering darkly in the flickering candlelight.

"It would appear our little spy is none other than Captain Alric's eldest daughter."

That elicited several evil chuckles as the sheriff's men leered at her.

"She must've followed me from the cathedral, my lord."  The sheriff growled, his face hard as he leveled a dangerous look at her.

"It's well known she visits Isaac for reading lessons.  She likely saw me come out after checking on Isaac's progress and thought it sport to see what I was up to."

"Or perhaps after learning what Isaac was doing for me, down in those dusty catacombs."  Brennan suggested in a bored tone, looking at his nails for some imaginary spot of dirt.

"If that abomination has revealed your secret, my lord, I'll see it on the crow post myself!"  The sheriff's hand dipped into his long coat where his weapon was secretly holstered.

"Why not ask it yourself, my dear sheriff!"  Then, in a slightly louder voice: "Come out where we can see you, Isaac."

Adavain found herself gasping yet again as the familiar form of her tutor moved out of the shadows cloaking the bottom of the ramp leading to the surface, a large bundle wrapped in its arms.  It's worn clothing was soaked from travel through the storm.