Breaking Walls

"I raised my wand and spoke the words as my heart fell fast."

The week had gone by way too fast. The times I dread something it comes as quickly as possible but the moment I wasn't something to happen it either never does or takes it time. 

I sat in the cold common room dorm clutching my knees to my chest. I hadn't gotten any sleep, hadn't even gotten under the covers. I sat up all night staring at the wooden door thinking about everything that had happened and the fact that there was a possibility I would die. I don't know why I thought this knowing Dumbledore wouldn't hurt a fly but Harry would. Harry almost killed Draco and he stood there and watched while he bled. 

The old clock on the wall ticked and ticked and ticked. Every second either becoming faster or slower with every tick. It finally reached the time it needed too before I slid off my bed and got dressed in my black dress and coat. 

I don't know why but the images of Cedric lying on the floor popped into my head. His eyes grey with death, his body still, deprived of life. Forgetting that moment had become easier since so much has happened this year but sooner or later the wall was going to break. It always will. 

Draco and I met in the common room, not saying a word to each other as we went out and headed towards the room of requirement. 

The same thing has always happened. Walk silently to the room, open the door, uncover the cabinet, test it out. Except for this time, we weren't putting anything in, we were inviting things to the castle. 

Outside thunder rumbled shaking the castle with every boom. We made it inside and watched the door close before going to the cabinet. Draco threw off the sheet that covered it. He pulled me away and grabbed my hand, lacing his cold hand with mine. The cabinet handle creaked and moved before the doors slowly started to open letting black smoke tumble out of it. 

My heart picked up its pace and Draco pulled me out of the room. It was now or never. 

"Take out your wand," Draco whispered to me and we half-ran down the empty halls. I did as he said, pulling out my dark wooden wand and prepared to use it at any sign of danger. 

We ran to the astronomy tower after Draco said that's where he was. I don't know how he knew but I didn't question it. Best case scenario he's there and all the stress is gone, the other case is that he's not there and I don't have the guilt of murder. 

"Here," He said as he approached the door to the tower. We both pulled on it letting it click a few times before opening enough that we could slide our way through. We walked up the spiral staircase, Draco insisting he took the lead. He pulled out his wand and held it in front of him. 

"Good evening Draco." The old wizard said as he stepped up onto the platform. "Is Y/N with you?" He asks kindly. Draco moved out of the way letting me finish coming up the stairs. "Ahh, how nice. What brings you two here on this fine spring evening?" Guilt washes over me as I clutch my wand harder. The thought of killing this man becoming more and more real.

"Who else is here? I heard you talking." Draco says. I had heard it as well but I thought I was just hearing things. Freaking myself out. 

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful." He tells us. "Have you been whispering to yourself, Draco?" I didn't know what to feel at that moment. Or do for that matter. Drop down and cry or kill the man on the spot. "Draco, you are no assassin. Neither are you, Y/N." He says. I knew he suspected us.

"How do you know what I am? I've don't things that would shock you." His words were confident but shaky. I knew he was scared, so was I.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that in return she'd bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead with one lace with poison?" My breath hitched at the memory of the curse and poison. I was hoping to never think about those again. "Forgive me, Draco and Y/N. I cannot help feeling these actions are so weak that your heart can't really have been in them."

"He trusts us. We were chosen." I finally say, snapping out of whatever pity I was feeling for myself at the moment. On a whim I lift up my left sleeve, Draco following my actions and doing it as well. 

Dumbledores face softens and he raises his arms. "I shall make it easy for you." 

"Expelliarmus." Draco throws the spell at his right hand, tosing the wand across the floor. 

"Very good. Very good." The headmaster applauded the student. Our wands were raised, pointed at the man knowing we had to do it sooner or later. 

I jumped when I heard the creak of the door to the tower fill the room below. 

"You're not alone." I'll tell you what Sherlock Holmes. You are magnificent. "There are others. How?" Draco looks down the floor not knowing they were coming up here. Panic rises as the air becomes tense. 

"The vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement. We've been mending it." I tell him trying to sound strong but I knew I was pathetic. 

"Let me guess. It has a sister. A twin."

"In Borgin and Burkes. They form a passage." Draco takes over once more.

"Ingenious." Dumbledore starts talking to us like we're kids. Even though we still are we've been through more things than he can count. "Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices." I knew this was true even though I had no idea who he was, much less magic existed, until year three. "And Y/N, just a girl who tried to be strong by making others weak." I didn't know how to feel about that. "Please let me help you."

"I don't want your help!" Draco snapped at him. "Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you. Or he's gonna kill me." His voice lowered in the last part and tears formed in his eyes. "He's gonna kill her." Footsteps pounded against the floor and everyone's expressions shifted. I knew deep down that Dumbledore knew he wasn't going to make it. 

"Well, look what we have here," Bellatrix says in surprise followed by death eaters. "Well done, Draco. Well done, Y/N." She whispered as she comes up behind the two of us. 

"Good evening, Bellatrix." The professor announced. "I think introductions are in order, don't you?"

"Love to, Albus but I'm afraid we're all on a bit of a tight schedule." She responded, calmly. A side to her I had hardly ever seen. "Do it." She snapped her head back to the two of us. 

"He doesn't have the stomach, just like his father. She doesn't either." Fenrir said behind us. The words tore at me wanting me to do it even more. "Let me finish him in my own way."

"No! The Dark Lord was clear, either the boy or the girl is to do it. This is your moment. Do it." She had spoken through her teeth. "Go on, Draco. Now!" The crazed tone in her voice had returned. Draco hesitated and I couldn't stand it anymore. 

I raised my wand and spoke the words as my heart fell fast. "AVADA KED-"

"No." My arm fell to my side before I could finish the words. I turned around to see Snape approach. 

"Severus." The room had fallen into a nasty silence the only thing audible was everyone's heavy breathing. "Please."

"Avada Kedavra." He said without hesitation. It was like he felt nothing at that moment as the headmaster flung backward, a spark hitting his chest killing him. He was dead. I almost killed him. 

I grabbed Draco's hand as someone spun the two of us around and rushed us down the stairs. As we left I could hear Bellatrix yell shouts of triumph at the fallen wizard.