Chapter Ten: Lauren, Sunday

Start from the beginning

"Al..." she said, blushing furiously. "Stop it. I'm getting turned on, and that's not what I need to be right now."

"Sorry. So, can I ask when it started?"

"This might be the part that makes you angry."

"Consider me forewarned. Lay it on me."

"The Monday after you first slept with her."

Now he did look gut-punched. "Wow," he gasped. "That does kind of hurt."

"Please don't blame her. Blame me. I'm the one who seduced her. I'd come by to collect evidence against the CEO; Rachel had told me he'd left his underwear there once, so I went and got it. It was during the day, and no one was expecting either of us for a while, and the fact that we were alone with each other for the first time since we reunited was so thrilling, Al, you can't know how much people depend on me, as a wife, as a mother, as a daughter in law, and as a professional... I don't know, I think for me the moment was just electric, and I had to have her."

He closed his eyes for a moment and sighed. "I don't blame you. Both of you are pretty damned irresistible."

"If it makes you feel better, Al, she fought it. She really wanted to stay faithful to you. I basically took off all my clothes and lured her into the shower."

"Fuck," he breathed, and she knew right away he was imagining her in the shower; Rachel had told her that was Al's favourite place to do it. She liked it too, and thinking that brought an unwelcome image of his own body, wet and soapy, pressed against hers, his hands pawing and groping as he lathered her up, the shower spray...

"How could anyone resist that?" he asked, almost whined, mercifully bringing her out of her reverie. "I don't think I could, and I love Rachel with all my heart."

"And she feels the exact same way, Al, believe that. She married you, didn't she? And she didn't have a very high opinion of marriage at the time. She doesn't want to lose you, it's just sometimes I'm the itch she needs to scratch."

He looked at her out of the corner of his eye. "And she's yours?"

She nodded, biting her lip.

"And Joe doesn't know, right?"

"Are you kidding me? He'd go ape-shit if he found out. The only reason you see him in my shows is that he has no idea he's on camera."

He chuckled. "Poor guy. He never suspects?"

"Nope. He's my poor, dumb, sexy ox."

Now he laughed out loud. "I guess if he sees a black screen on a laptop, he assumes it's off. That's what I thought before you put your two cents in with the Julia situation."

She sighed. "Yeah, that's a night I'd like to forget. Not what you and Rachel were doing, that was pretty hot, but, you know, getting rid of the body."

He cleared his throat. "Can I ask how many times you've... gotten together since that first time?"

She squirmed again. "Do you really want to know that, Al? I don't want you to feel like we've been sneaking around behind your back, that's why I'm telling you now. I will say, though, that it hasn't been many. Like I said, the opportunities are rare."

"But you are sneaking around behind Joe's back. I don't want to make you feel bad, but there is a reason you're not telling him."

"Yes, and I have to confess, Al, you're taking this a lot better than I thought you would. Joe would not be as charitable, believe me."

He harrumphed at that. "I'm only taking it well because I suspected all along and have had time to accept it, and also because I'm no longer in any position to judge, am I?"