Chapter 42

Bash and Catherine stood by, watching as the guards loaded their belongings into the carriage. Bash was holding her hand.

"Be careful with that." She snapped as one of them dropped a bag. Then Francis and Mary walked up to see them off.

"I see you've decided to pack half the castle." Francis said sarcastically.

"I don't have that many things." She said.

"Well..." Bash said. She gave him an irritated look.

"So, which of your many properties have you decided to go?" Mary interjected.

"We are headed to Chenonceau." She said.

"Didn't father give Chenonceau to Diane?" Francis asked. Catherine rolled her eyes.

"Yes, but he gave it back before he died and I've been meaning to renovate it. So I thought I'd take this as an opportunity to do so." She said.

"If you don't mind me asking, why would he just randomly decided to return it to you?" Asked Bash.

"I don't think you want to know the answer to that." She said. Bash, Francis and Mary exchanged looks of confusion.

"It's all loaded in, your Grace." Said one of the guards.

"Well, I suppose that's our queue to go." Said Bash.

"Now, Mary, do make sure the boys finish their lessons and go to bed on time...And don't let them outside without their cloaks..." she started.

"Catherine, the boys will be fine. I promise I'll take good care of them." She assured, her hands on her shoulders.

"I know you will." She said. She smiled and gave her a hug.

"I do hope you take care of yourself." Mary said.

"Don't worry, if she doesn't, I will." Bash said. Mary smiled at him. Catherine looked expectantly at Francis. He uneasily bent down to give her a quick hug.

"Be safe." He said. She nodded. Bash opened the door to the carriage, helped Catherine in and then joined her, sitting on the opposite side. Mary waved goodbye as they pulled away.

"What do you think you're doing all the way over there?" Catherine asked.

"I don't know. How silly of me." He said switching sides. "Better?"

"Much." she replied.

"I guess I'm still so used to pretending not to be with you, that I forget I don't have to any more." he said lacing their fingers together.

"No, you certainly don't." she said. He rubbed her hand with his thumb.

"All this time alone together, not pretending, whatever will we do with ourselves?" he said jokingly.

"Hmm, I'm sure we will think of something." she said kissing him.

"Although, we do have a significantly less amount of time with your need to redecorate. Why do you need to do it now?" He asked brushing a stray hair over her shoulder.

"With the baby on the way, I won't have the opportunity for a very long time." She said.

"But why do you care so much about some silly chateau?" He wondered.

"It's a symbol. When he gave that château to Diane, he didn't just hurt my feelings, he showed me how disrespected I was, how little he cared about how our people saw me. I was humiliated...I need...closure...Do you understand?" She explained.

"Yes, I believe I do." He rested his head on top of hers. "I wish I could erase it all for you."

"But you do. When I'm with you, I don't feel it anymore." She said snuggling into his chest.