Chapter 25: The Tension Is Real And I Want To Deny It

Start from the beginning

This smells like war.

"You asked for this!" He said and moved towards me, a handful of flour in his hand. I quickly seized the other container that holds some of them and dashed to the other side of the kitchen.

Chase grabbed the other container and slowly walked over, a cheeky glint in his eyes. He then made a sudden dash that caught me off guard, leaving me helplessly cornered as he slathered the flour all over my arms, my neck and my face. He was bigger than I am so no matter how hard I struggle, I couldn't squeeze my way out of his grip.

So, mustering every strength that I had, I pushed him forcefully and tackled him to the floor where the two of us rolled over and over whilst laughing our butts off. After finishing the last bit of the flour, the two of us looked ridiculously terrible, making it hard for us to stop laughing.

A few minutes later, the whole kitchen was a mess - my Mom was seriously going to have a coronary once she sees it - and so were we. Chase and I were still on the floor, and it was only that time when I realized how intimate our position was.

Chase was on his back, lying against the floor, while I was on top of him. Realizing that, my cheeks burned extremely hot I thought they were gonna explode any minute.

The laughter has already died down and was replaced by an awkward tension and something else I couldn't put a finger on.

Still not moving, I stared openly at Chase and thought of how gorgeous he looked. My eyes darted to his eyes - his beautiful green eyes and marveled about getting lost in them. His face was a perfect symmetry and I don't think I will ever get tired of looking at it. Unconsciously, my eyes darted towards his lips - his perfect red lips that were slightly hanging open and resisted the urge to kiss him. All in all,he was just perfect and I couldn't believe I'm actually saying it.

My gaze went back to his eyes and blushed again when I realized that he was looking at my lips. Then he looked up, making our eyes meet and I couldn't deny the sexual tension that emanated from our contact.

Slowly, he leaned in closer. He's going to kiss me, I thought.

I remembered the first and last time we kissed and how it felt so magical back then despite the fact that it was just some game that caused it to happen.

That's when a sudden click snapped in my head. Coming back to my senses, I quickly scrambled off of Chase and straightened myself, too flustered to even look at him.

Standing up, he uneasily shifted in his stance. I can tell he was also flustered from the almost-kiss that happened between the two of us.

I mentally shook all these notions. Maybe I was just too carried away and started hallucinating things. Chase couldn't probably be that crazy to kiss me, right? I guess I was just imagining the 'sexual tension' between us. He wouldn't want to have anything to do with poor, pathetic Carli Davidson who just got her heart broken because she was utterly stupid.

He's Chase Hayden. He knows he's better than that. And better doesn't include me.

And I wouldn't get my hopes up if don't want history to repeat itself. I've had enough heartbreak already and I wasn't really keen on hurting again. One can never heal that quickly.

"Well," I said, laughing nervously. "There goes our food."

Chase coughed before returning my smile with a strained one. "Yeah, I guess I'll just order pizza."

So much for making things less awkward.

Several minutes later, we were both cleaned up and were eating the pizza Chase ordered from a nearby store. We were just learning to accept the fact that we were never meant for culinary arts.

"Hey, so when are your parents coming back?" I asked Chase as an attempt for conversation.

His face scrunched into a frown. "Are you really that intent of making me leave already?" He asked, a playful hint in his voice.

I chuckled at his response. "Of course not!" I answered truthfully. And it was true. We may have our fair share of arguments but I'm never going to deny the fact that I've enjoyed having him around. He was starting to become a fixture in my life and for some weird reason, it kind of scared me. I mean, I just admitted that I felt attracted to him and that's already seeing him badly. What more if I started seeing him in a more positive way? I don't think I could handle that.

I know you're probably thinking,"what kind of girl are you? You just got your heart broken and now, you're already thinking of another guy?"

But the thing is, ever since, I've always harbored a tiny crush on Chase. Even before Zach, when we were younger and his Mom took him to our place, I used to think he was the cutest boy I've ever seen in my entire life. But of course I grew up and eventually, he slipped my mind. Until that fateful day, when we came at his house and I saw him again, that teeny tiny crush resurfaced, only I didn't show it too obviously.

Then there was Zach. Despite my attraction to Chase, he slipped my mind when Zach started paying attention to me. It was the first time a guy actually told me he liked me so I couldn't help myself from falling for him right there and then. You know that theory that when someone admits their feelings to you, you unconsciously reciprocate those feelings back despite having no history of liking them before? Yeah, I guess that's what happened to me - although I did like Zach already. The feeling just intensified, that's all. I guess I was too caught up with finally being in a relationship that I didn't fully see the big picture.

It averted my mind from things or rather, people who truly mattered. But it's not like Chase liked me back anyway. To me, I was just his best friend's girlfriend, I'm sorry, ex girlfriend, nothing more, nothing less.

"They're coming back soon," he answered, snapping me out of my reverie, and I can hear a tinge of sadness in his voice.

"Oh," I mumbled. "I'd be sad."

I truly would be. Especially now. After everything that's happened.

That made him laugh. "Why? Couldn't stand not seeing my handsome face everyday anymore, sweetheart?"

"Would you swoon if I said yes?" I joked.

"Depends." He smirked at me.

"Whatever. You can go now and I wouldn't even stop you."

"Liar," he told me. "For all I know, you'll be crying every night for the rest of your life when that happens."

Now here's the Chase I know. "You're so full of yourself."

"But you love me," he teased.

"I don't. In fact, I hate you."

Chase leaned in, his eyes holding mine in a very intense gaze. And to say that my heart thunderously pounded inside my chest after he said his next words would be an understatement. "But I love you."

I stiffen, and before I could fully react, the jerk was already laughing his butt off. "Chill sweetheart, I was just kidding."

"W-well of course," I said in response. "I'm not that dumb. And it's not like I wanted you to mean that. I mean, who wants to be loved by you, anyway?"

If hypocrisy was a crime, I'm sure I'm already in prison right now.

I hope I'm not too fast, omg I'm so nervous about this chapter.
I hoped you liked it (please say you liked it) but I personally think it's horrible. I wrote this in a rush so that explains why it's so poor quality-wise.