6. Tortures you like

Navigating through a twisted maze of tunnels, you reach the cave that leads out of the mountain's bowels. Just one more effort and you'll be free to meet Lilith at the Yoshiwara Club and exact your revenge.

Unfortunately, a big black wolf stands between you and the exit.

The beast growls at you. Coming in for shelter during the night, it must be very hungry. Its fangs are longer and pointier than yours: leaving the cave without being eaten won't be easy. 

The wolf seems to have "smelt" your supernatural origin and this may have enraged it even more

The wolf seems to have "smelt" your supernatural origin and this may have enraged it even more. Trying to bypass it seems to be impossible, and you are still too weak to attack it. Maybe, if you find a way to appease it, you can pass.

You have to come back to your lair. When you are into the bats room again, you stare at the burning coffin. If you had a torch, you could use the fire to scare the wolf into the cave. You move to the snakes room: you still have to see the western passage which takes you to a very special place, the torture chamber!

Although many years have passed since the last time you used these amazing devices of pain and death, this room still smells of the fear and blood of the poor wretches who ended up here. If you concentrate, you can hear their screams, which still gives you a fit of pleasure.

A threatening iron maiden is at the centre of the room. Among the chains hanging from the ceiling, you see a breaking wheel and a pillory. There is also a rusty cage, in which you enjoyed locking the friends of those you tortured. So they could see what they would endure.

Inside the cage is still a skeleton. Looking at those yellowed bones, you suddenly remember the reverend Maximilian Bauer. Another fool who ignited your anger by attempting to destroy you with an exorcism. You sentenced him to be eaten alive by rats.

When you captured him and locked him in the cage, he probably thought he would "only" be tortured and starved to death like so many others before him. But you felt so inspired that night that you decided to use your telepathic powers to set up a memorable execution. It is impossible to forget the look on his face when he saw the horde of rats entering the torture chamber and then filling up the cage, feasting upon him.

 It is impossible to forget the look on his face when he saw the horde of rats entering the torture chamber and then filling up the cage, feasting upon him

You could take a bone from the skeleton to make the torch you need. But the cage is locked and you don't remember where you used to keep the key.

Looking around, you see the black leather mask you liked to wear while you tortured your

prisoners. Painted on it is a horrible skull, which makes it even more frightful. When you wear it again, you can still feel the smell of the blood and the fear of the prisoners you tortured.

You also find the bottle of liquor you took here to disinfect the wounds of your prisoners, after scattering salt on them. The skull on the label is a quite accurate indicator of its alcohol by volume. Now you can use the liquor as a fuel for your torch, if you manage to make it.

Before leaving, you give a look to the iron maiden. Considered one of the most amazing torture devices in human history, it is an iron cabinet with a hinged front and spike-covered interior, tall enough to accommodate a human being. The spikes can pierce the victim's body without damaging the vital organs, thus causing the victim to slowly and dreadfully bleed to death.

Actually, your prisoners had already been bled dry by the time you locked them into the maiden. However, it was wonderful to listen to their cries while the spikes tore them apart.

As you open the iron maiden you see it's empty, but the view of the spikes is delicious. They are rusty, blood encrusted, very long and sharp. It is really a pity you have no prisoner to lock into the iron maiden. Before closing it, you notice some long blonde hair caught on the spikes.

It probably belonged to Sandra Koch. She was a vampire hunter who wanted to revenge the death of her sister Samantha, who was killed by you in Vienna. Captured by your servants while she was looking for your lair, she did indeed find you, although it didn't work out for her the way she expected.

Struck by her beauty and her rebellious attitude, you spent many nights drinking her blood and torturing her endlessly, coaxing from her every kind of shriek. Eventually, she asked for the relief of death. So you decided to give her a really impressive execution, locking her up into the iron maiden.

Probably, when you removed her from it, some of her hair got caught on the spikes. You cut her body into pieces and fed it to the wolves that infest the mountain, smiling and shouting "Next!" into the night.

You take the hair thinking of the frayed bundle of your violin bow. Now you could try to fix it. When you put the hair in your pocket, you find there's already something in it. It's a key. So you try to use it to unlock and open the cage. It works!

Finally you can enter the cage and get a shinbone from the skeleton. Now to make your torch you only need a piece of cloth which can burn well, after pouring some liquor on it. So you think of your flag, hung on the back wall of the secret room.

Before going there, you return to the treasure room and take the violin bow. Attempting to repair the frayed bundle with Samantha's hair is a complicated process. However, after you finish, the bow seems to be in working order. Finally you can take your violin and play it again. Your music is so sweet that it's a pity no one is listening to it. Could it appease even the wolf? You should try.