five | magical fairy powers

°

°

The dinner all four friends were forced to partake in was incredibly awkward for Clara Wheeler.

All that was heard was Holly's gurgles and forks clashing with plates.

"Is something wrong with the meatloaf?"

Karen Wheelers pointed look towards the three boys at the end of the table caused a few uncomfortable coughs and an amused chortle from both Clara and her father.

"No, no I just had two bologna sandwiches for lunch-" Dustin gave a toothless grin, "I don't know why."

Lucas nodded along awkwardly, "yeah, me too."

Nancy set her fork down, wiping the cloth napkin over her mouth before sending a sickly sweet smile in her mother's direction.

"I think it's delicious, mommy."

Mommy, Clara thought.

None of the kids, not even Holly, called their mother mommy.

"So, there's this special assembly thing tonight. For Will. Barb's driving," Nancy forked another piece of meatloaf, cheekily hoping to gain brownie points from her mother.

Ah, so this is why Nancy was being a, to put it honestly, suck up.

Karen sighed, setting her napkin into her plate, "Nancy, I told you I don't want you to be out late at night until Will is found!"

"I know, I know," Nancy pursed her lips in spite, " it would just be super weird if I wasn't there. I mean, everyone is going."

Karen Wheeler huffed out a breath, looking over to Ted for insight. Per usual, he had the sports page of the newspaper spread before him while her ate the dinner.

"Just- be home by ten. And take the boys and Clara, too."

Each of the pre-teens objected, Karen startled as she looked to the group, "don't you want to be there? For Will?"

Mike and Clara both went to respond, the boy taking a sip of milk before sputtering it all over himself, Clara letting out a small choking noise and Dustin banging his fists on the table.

"Tampons!"

Karen opened her mouth in horror at her daughter, the very- non table like word not going unnoticed by Lucas or Dustin who each let out a loud laugh.