Chapter 24: Of Heartbreaks and Revelations

Start from the beginning

"But what hurts the most is that he lied to me. He used my feelings to fill Sarah's place in his life! I know I'm not as great as her and will never be no matter how hard I try but he didn't have to do that. He could've said it straight to my face and it would've hurt less than finding out that he's doing it behind my back. Am I that unimportant to him? Did he really just see me as another girl who he could use and hurt?  Or am I simply that much of a loser that I couldn't figure out that my boyfriend was still in love with his ex? But what really hurts is that I actually liked him - so fvcking much - and thought stupidly that maybe I'm actually worthy of his attention..."

At that, I let out all the tears that I've been holding back for the past few minutes. I couldn't decide if telling Chase all this was a good idea or not because first of all, Zach's his best friend and it's obvious he's gonna take his side, and two, I don't know if he actually cares.

But what surprises me was the look on his face when I finished pouring my heart out. His face was dark, almost deadly, and his voice low and cold. "Zach did all this to you?"

I couldn't find my tongue that moment so I simply nodded.

What happened next was beyond my expectations. Chase forcefully pulled me and enclosed me in a real tight hug and instead of pushing him back, I buried my face on his chest, snaked my arms around his waist and let out my tears in full force. This was the first time I ever cried so hard and I didn't expect it to be over a silly heartbreak. But I've never been heartbroken before, so, I wouldn't exactly know.

Chase stroked my back gently and whispered in a very soft tone, "He's an ass, okay? And asses like him don't deserve you. I know he's my best friend but he's still an ass."

I didn't fully expect him to say all these things but I was grateful nonetheless. "And don't ever think you're not perfect because you are, Carli. I may not always say this but I think you're very beautiful. You're smart, you're funny, you're reliable, you're humble, you're amazing. You didn't have to be like Sarah because you're perfectly fine with being Carli Davidson. Just because Zach was a total ingrate and didn't appreciate you, that doesn't mean that you're inadequate or something like that. Because you're more than that, you're absolutely beautiful and you don't have any idea how someone's so crazy about you. You deserve all the love in the world."

I looked at Chase once again and wondered how on Earth I wasn't in love with him instead. He maybe a total jerk at times but at least he wasn't a backstabbing liar.

Without hesitation, I leaned closer and gave him a peck on the cheek. He looked flustered, making me chuckle. "Thank you," I said, sniffling, but this time I wasn't crying anymore. He has totally made me feel better. "Thank you, Chase."

"You're welcome," he told me, smiling. "Now, let's get you home."

I don't always say this and I couldn't actually believe I'm really saying it but, thank God for Chase Hayden.

Chase's POV

I didn't know this level of anger existed.

As I drove in my car, all I could think of was how broken Carli was and how it made me so livid.

She was like a precious jewel - at least that's how I saw her, and for her to hurt this badly hurt me too in some ways.

First, I couldn't stand to see her so down and wounded. Second, by some guy who I considered my best friend. And lastly, I couldn't stand the fact that she was hurt because she actually had feelings for him. It just stung.

I tried asking myself why I was so different and nervous around her unlike the way I am around other girls and found myself concluding that maybe I liked her.

I mean, the first time I saw her, it was several years ago when my Mom brought me to one of our branch offices where her mother used to work and we stopped by their place afterwards, I instantly developed a crush on her. She was really cute and I couldn't stop myself from thinking about her. Eversince then, I always convinced Mom to let me come along with her just so I could see Carli. It was a silly old crush but 12-year-old me thought that he was in love.

But then I grew up and became really popular, and so I forgot about her. But when I saw her again that one time, when she walked in on me in my pajamas, I found myself rekindling that little crush and never would've I thought it would turn into something this deep. It's just baffling how the mind and heart work.

I was actually going to ask her out hadn't it be for Zach who has been faster than I am. I gave way and pretended that I didn't care about them because I thought it would hurt less that way. She was always so dreamy whenever she thought about him and she always made it obvious how much she despised me.

I figured it's high time to accept that maybe, she's better off with Zach who was always the nice one - the gentleman as they dubbed him.

Until now.

If only I knew that things would end up this way and would hurt Carli pretty badly, I would've manned up and told her how I feel.

It's just funny too, you know, how I'm considered the bad boy of the school, a description I find demented, yet here I am, a complete coward when it comes to the girl I love.

What a loser I am, I know. But when you rarely find yourself in situations like this , you will realize it's not very easy to "just man up and tell her". I've never fallen in love before,  and this just might be the first time, if I'm actually sure.

When I got back at Dave's house after dropping Carli home, I didn't waste any time fooling around and immediately searched for Zach.

Ignoring people's calls, I make my way through the innermost part of the house and opened every room, one by one.

I was getting agitated the moment I opened the fifth door and saw noone and was about to punch the wall until finally, I saw the fucker going out of a certain room, Sarah trailing after him.

Without hesitation, I quickly make my way over to him. When he saw me, he smiled and shouted, "Chase, man!"

He was about to pull me into a hug but I got ahead of him and pulled the front of his shirt. "Hey," he said, looking confused. '"What's wrong, man? You seem so -"

Before he could finish what he was about to say, I let him go and punched him in the jaw, sending him flying to the floor. From behind him, Sarah, along with some nosy bystanders, gasped.

"What's wrong with you?" He yelled, wiping some blood off of his face.

Sighing, I took a deep breath before pointing at him. "That was for Carli."

Please vote, comment and follow me if you haven't yet. Thanks!