||| Prologue |||

**PROLOGUE**

I gathered my arrows and, after saying good bye to my parents, went off into the forest to practice. "Be back before sunset, Mckenna!" yelled my mother after I was a long ways from the door.

"Alright, mother! Be back soon!" I yelled back, wanting to stay as long as I wanted. Like that would ever happen.

I slung my quiver around my torso, shivering from the cold air around me. Winter wasn't my favorite.

I trudged through the thick snow, four or five inches I would say. I don't like it, but I'm still used to it. Comes 'round every winter.

I sighed, knowing this nose-nipping weather would be going on for a while now. This was just the beginning of the icey season.

I, after a long walk filled with gorgeous scenery, finally got to the place I was looking for. In the heart of the forest, I had set up an area where I could practice my archery skills. I'm pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I set up the target my father had made, originally for my brother, Robin. But, unfortunately, he got attacked by a bear while hunting and got killed. A tear escaped my eye, I missed him so much. He loved archery, he was the best in the village. I decided to take his place, to honor him.

Not once have I shot an arrow without my eyes watering up afterwards.

Not once ever.

I swiftly took an arrow out of my quiver, after wiping my eyes. Robin still lingered in my mind, but I kept on.

I pulled the feathered back of the arrow to my cheek, it tickled slightly. My face twitched a bit from the feeling.

I took a deep breath, calming my muscles and soothing my mind. Relaxation replaced the tense feeling in my body.

I was about to shoot, when a freezing cold wind came and blew my fiery red hair into my face. I let the arrow go, missing the target completely.

"Ugh, why?!" I loudly exclaimed to no one in particular.

I kept shooting arrows at the target, missing most of the time. The times I didn't miss, it was nowhere near the center.

I had no idea why, but I was always horrible during the winter. Was it the icey cold wind blowing all the time? The coldness distracting me? I may never know.

Then, I looked at the sun, only to realize it was no longer high in the sky. I needed to get home, and quick. I gathered my arrows as quick as I could and threw them in my quiver.

I started running towards home, panting like a pack of wolves going after a jackrabbit. I was already tired, and I was only halfway home.

After running longer, I could see where the forest ended. I was almost there, until something unexpected happened.

Right at the edge of the forest, a bunch of trees caught fire right in front of me. How? I was scared. Very scared.

"MOTHER, FATHER! HELP, PLEASE!" I screamed, in hope of someone coming to my rescue.

Luckily our house is right near the forest, so they heard me and came out running.

"MCKENNA! Are you alright?!"

my father yelled, both of them were in tears from what I could see through the burning hot flames.

"Yes, help me!" I screamed in terror as a burning tree fell over in front of me.

"Don't worry, we'll save you!" my mother yelled, her crying was clearly heard from where I was standing.

I saw a big group of men carrying axes and water buckets coming towards the fire. It was really close now. I was terrified.