Alone on Cloud 9 (5)

Start from the beginning

I started twisting the dial on my lock and heard a sigh beside me as Mandy leaned on the locker next to mine, already wearing her coat.

"You have no idea how much I need this coffee."

I grinned at her and shrugged my coat on before grabbing my wallet and tucking it into the pocket.

"It has been a long day."

"You know, I'm actually getting excited, and kind of nervous." I looked at her in surprise as we walked towards the doors.

"And what brought about this change? What happened to winging it?"

She fought to hold back a smile and I knew it was something she’d been bursting to tell me all day.

"When I told my mom I was staying late for the drama show she was so shocked. Of course she hadn't known I was in it, but then get this, she actually called work and cancelled her meeting so she could come. Can you believe it?" Her face took on a giddy expression, a rare thing for Amanda.

"Mandy that’s so great!" Her mom hadn't been around much since her dad passed away when she was young, and I knew it meant a lot to her that she was coming.

She smiled sheepishly at me. "I know I haven't seemed really into this thing, but I guess I'm glad you talked me into it."

We made it down to the doors where everyone else was waiting and I had to admit we made quite a spectacle. Most of us were wearing a mix of costume and normal clothes, with hair styled for the show and make-up layered on. 

The cold winter air was a relief after the stifling heat of the drama room as we forged a path through the snow across the field, all linking hands to try and keep balanced.

Personally, I just thought it was an excuse for whoever fell to bring everyone else down with them.

The little cafe across from school was mostly empty when we walked in, and the bell above the door rung loudly throughout, catching the attention of the few customers there, who looked curiously at our large and oddly dressed troupe.

Like the well oiled machine our group had become, half the cast went up to place orders and carry back drinks while the rest moved several empty tables together and gathered up extra chairs from around the room.

Within minutes coats were slung over the chairs and everyone was hunched over steaming cups of much needed caffeine.

Clink clink clink.

Charlie stood up with his mug in hand and turned to look around at us all. "I'd like to make a toast to us all for a great semester, everyone's put in a ton of hours to make this happen, and we are going to rock the house!"

Laughter broke out and mugs clacked together while hands slapped the table in agreement.

Shane stood up next and the laughing died out to a weary silence.

"At first I was sure this cast was made up of mediocre actors, but to my surprise you've all shown great improvement, and as Charles said, we're certain to err, rock the house."

There was shocked silence for a moment, after all it was the closest to a compliment we'd ever heard from Shane.

And then the cheering broke out, louder than before as random toasts were thrown out and the laughter grew, receiving annoyed looks from the older customers.

"Cheers man!"

"Huzzah!"

"To drama!"

"You mean theatre."