Infinite X Reader (Behind the Scenes) - @princess-rubydestiny

The city was in flames, the sky having turned almost black with smoke. Many people ran screaming for their lives, tripping over debris, trying to pull their loved ones with them, leaving behind everything they knew, their memories, their homes. A skyscraper fell in the distance, and the surrounding citizen gasped in horror, frozen to the spot as the wind picked up, ruffling their clothes.

Ever since Sonic had disappeared, things had gone to hell.

A black jackal floated through the sky, watching the destruction with a smile on his muzzle. He wore a mask to hide his joy, one eye completely covered, the other free to bask in his success. When people saw him, they pointed and cowered, hid in fear, they ran. For they knew he would only end their miserable lives.

The jackal was called the Black Mercenary, as no one knew who he was, and everyone hid in his shadow. Some even speculated it being Shadow since he had disappeared not long after Sonic's loss. The jackal, who was called Infinite, took great pleasure in these rumours, knowing it would ruin the image of the heroes.

Of course the heroes were doing their best, having formed a resistance to fight against the jackal and his ally, Doctor Ivo Robotnik, also known as Eggman. They were recruiting as many people as they could, as long as they were up for fighting back. The jackal had heard from Dr. Eggman that the recruiting process was slow at the moment, since everyone was running in fear, but both agreed it wouldn't stay that way for long.

They had to hit hard now while everyone was weak and afraid, while Sonic and all hope was lost. And that's what the jackal was doing. He floated through the city, watching everyone scurry like rats in a sewer. No, like bugs running under a fridge. Filthy creatures, the lot of them. He stuck his nose up, scoffing as he spotted some people trying to pull another from the ruins.

To think they would try such a useless act, it was clear the beams crushing the older creature weren't budging, but the two never gave up. It was sad really, to think they'd keep trying even when they knew they'd fail. The humiliation they'll feel later on, knowing they could do nothing but make it worse.

Infinite chuckled to himself, time to cut their advances short. He floated down towards the three, and the one stuck in the debris started yelling for the other two to run. They looked up, fear swimming in their eyes, before they gave one last glance of sorrow and took off down the street.

The black jackal had his arms behind his back, chuckling to himself as he watched the other two running away.

"Such lowlifes, not even bothering to protect you." He directed to the stuck Mobian.

"I told them to protect themselves." The other growled, glaring at the evil mercenary, "I'm a lost cause, I'd rather they get to safety than fall to the likes of you."

"Oh really...?" He tilted his head at the other, before turning his attention to a building further ahead, "Such brave words. It's a shame not everyone gets what they want."

He lifted his hands, a red glow surrounding his gloved fingers, and a part of a skyscraper crumbled in on itself, falling away from the structure and towards the road. The two running were heading right for their deaths.

"No!" The one lodged in the debris yelled, struggling to break free.

Infinite smirked evilly, holding his hands behind his back once again as he watched the events take hold. However, instead of bloodshed, the two people fell back as the rubble crashed into the ground, out of the way of any danger. The jackal's smirk disappeared, and the other let out a sigh of relief.

He growled at the stuck victim, before lifting up off the ground and flying over to his victims. They had been tackled to the ground by a (f/c) (a/t), her body was shaking slightly, but she slowly got off the other two and started checking on them. They hugged her, got to their feet, and kept running.