Koun Family

Hi ,  I have compelled a small info chapter for everyone's sake.

This is the genogram of the Koun clan. Confusing, I know.

Now if there is one thing you need to know is that the Koun clan practices siblicide ( The act of killing another's siblings). 

Why?

Because the family traditions are being jerks. 

Every year, all the branch houses will come together and the children who are of age ( 13 years old) will fight each other . Those who didn't get disqualified will be allowed to join the main house and their respective branches will be favoured.

The punishment for those who didn't make it varies however there are several scenarios:

1. Dak ho's sister was selected to be part of the competition. She was also considered the one to most likely to win however in the end she lost. The poor girl comitted suicide and their branch was expelled. The only reason Dak Ho is a member of the main house was that he got himself adopted into another branch, succeeding in playing in the official matches.

2.Kisei is Dak ho's cousin via his mother. She was originally also a  member of the main house clan however her mother died during a clan fight, she was then adopted by Dak ho's mother causing her status to drop. She acted as a personal assassin to Dak ho's sister. After the sister's death, she was saved from exile and resumed her role as a member of the main house albeit in a lower position, due to the death of her mother.

*This does not mean that in the main house there is no killing. Of course there is ! Those that have a heavy grudge to the point of murder will assassinate other members of the clan especially during succession crisis.

During the tournament, the competitors are allowed to have partners such cases include Xin Yun and Mamoru who came from the same clan and worked together to win.

There are also branch houses that are exempted such as Azuma's case. Azuma belongs to a branch house of Ming Yao's family. Since Ming Yao was born as a main house member, he was exempted from the competition, this followed through with Azuma who was his aide.

 You all are probably wondering why Isamu has 'siblings' when it's shown above that he is an only child, will you see in the main house. The children call each other brother and sister representing their bond. This was seen in Isamu, who had grown up in the woodlock house, considering everyone there his cousins and 'siblings'.

However, a fire suddenly broke out and killed a bunch of them. This fire was suspected to have been done by a fanatical terrorist group.

Now then onto beastias. 

For those who are not sure, beastias are people with animal ears/ traits (Kemonomimi), as shown above I have placed legends for those who are beastias however for people who can't read then here:

Dak Ho-Dragon

Yong-Cat

Hye gong- fox

Mamoru-Elf

Ming Yao-half mermaid ( On mother side)

Isamu- Yuki onna

Azuma-Unknown

The hierarchy: Emperor

                            king

                             Main house

                          branch house

The Emperor Fulan is considered the family's head of state affairs and does not participate actively in household matters. The one who does is the king, he is assisted with a bunch of officials and ministers. The king is the most sought after role in the family, with the ones having a legitimate claim are those in the main house. 

Main house is of course the 3rd most powerful since their power together is very very strong. They also have a claim to the throne thus outranking the branch houses who are considered weaker with no claim less one of their members joins the ranks of the main.

Special mention goes to the Baek Clan. 

The Back clan is a branch house that has a lot of power to rival the main house, this is because they control the criminal underworld of Koun. Dealing in them however have caused the clan to be seen as a black sheep and deemed shameful by the rest.  Thankfully this is only known to certain criminals/clan elders, so they are able to go along their daily lives in public.

How did Lady Kim become empress or the wife of the late king?

You see, after her husband( Isamu's dad) passed away in the same fire as Isamu's 'siblings', Lady Kim was without a support in raising her son. So she then got herself married to the late king who was a womaniser and pretty ugly. Acting as his favourite concubine.

p.s  Soo won is his daughter thus making Isamu her step-brother.

Hye gong's parents died differently.

members of the clan are most of the time born weak and ill, this was in the case of his father who was bedridden . However, they were very happy together till the day Hye gong's father passed away in his sleep at the age of 30. His wife, passed away a couple of days later by hanging herself. Leaving Hye gong without proper care till Isamu took him in.

Ming Yao's brother, Ming Hao died in a freak accident.