Dragon Knows Best ~ Part 1

When you're riding a dragon, communication is vital. You almost have to read each other's minds cause if you don't, you're likely to end up with branches up your nose or your face on a rock.

Most times, it's pretty easy for us to stay in sync with our dragons. We'd all got lucky when we chose them. Each was practically a scaly version of ourselves. But of course, we couldn't be on the same page all the time. That's why it's essential to have trust and an open mind because sometimes, your dragon knows better than you.

Today was one of those days when it was in our best interest to let our dragons take control. The forest on Berk was one of the best places to practice maneuvers. With the trees growing out of the hills at every angle, it definitely took four eyes to see everything coming your way.

"Starlight, slow down." I yelped as I pulled myself forward on my saddle. While the fallen trees were good for learning to maneuver, they were not something to speed through. Starlight either didn't hear me or didn't care as she zigzagged through the branches as if we were being chased. "There's no prize for the fastest dragon. Slow down!" I yelled as I pulled back on the saddle in a last-ditch effort to slow my dragon down.

Just as we slowed enough for me to make out individual trees, a branch seemed to appear out of nowhere and whacked me in the face. I didn't even stop to think as my hands flew up to my face to tear the leaves from my eyes, and another branch knocked me out of my saddle completely.

I screamed as I dived headfirst into a clump of thorny bushes. I tensed my whole body, preparing for the oncoming pain but was fortunate to feel the rush of wind in my ears again. I craned my neck and grinned up at Starlight, who had grabbed the back of my tunic just in time. Once we were clear of the trees, she flipped me back to my saddle and gave me a smug look. "Alright," I conceded. "Faster is better. No need to gloat."

We dived back down to meet the other riders. I hoped that the brach that had taken me out hadn't left any marks. The last thing I needed was to be the only one (along with Snotlout, who had branches sticking out of his nose) who couldn't sync up with their dragon.

"Has anyone seen Fishlegs?" Hiccup called, and I looked around. Come to think of it; I didn't remember seeing him since we took off a few hours earlier. "I saw him yesterday. Does that count?" Ruff asked earnestly. "Starlight, and I will help you look." I offered as Hiccup sighed. Astrid, Snotlout, and the twins headed back to the academy while Hiccup and I flew to different ends of the forest.

As we swerved through the trees calling out for the missing dragon and Rider, there was a sudden and loud bang. Starlight didn't even wait for me to point us in the direction of the noise. Maybe we were more in sync than I thought. As we approached, there was another crashing noise, and when we landed, I was not surprised to find Hiccup and Fishlegs.

"What was that?" I asked frantically as I jumped down. Hiccup motioned to where Meatlug lay between two vary cracked trees. "Can you not tell the others Meatlug broke the trees? She's sensitive about her weight." Fishlegs stage-whispered as he covered the dragon's ears. "How did this happen?" Hiccup asked.

"I don't know! I was just flying along, taking notes on the flora and fauna. Typical guy stuff." Fishlegs explained in the typical shy manner he spoke with when describing his choice activities that were less than 'manly.' "And something weird jumped out of the bushes. It was like a flaming squirrel." "Really? A flaming squirrel?" Hiccup asked, skeptically crossing his arms. "Or a chipmunk." Fishlegs amended. Hiccup sighed, and I tried not to giggle. "Or some other flammable rodent." Fishlegs said, finally.

Hiccup was clearly not buying it, and I could tell he was trying not to roll his eyes. "I don't know, Hiccup. It scared us. Isn't that enough for you?" Fishlegs huffed indignantly and flew off. "Did you hear that? A flaming squirrel." Hiccup scoffed, almost laughing. "He probably just didn't want to admit he lost control and crashed." I said, allowing myself to laugh a bit now that our friend was out of earshot. "Still, he could've come up with a better story." My brother smiled as we mounted our dragons. "Everyone knows there's no such thing as a --FLAMING SQUIRREL!"