1

new story new story! if you've read my other books, hi! I love you a lot. if you're new, also hi! I'm hoping this will be fun. I've actually made a little Pinterest board for this book because it's honestly helped me a lot in terms of visualizing-- it might be fun to look at, so I've linked it here: https://pin.it/6heI1wU

happy reading!

my foot taps impatiently against the tiles while I wait by the pickup counter. I'm already running a little late thanks to subway maintenance, but I have to get the morning coffee. they're playing John Mayer over the speakers.

even though I texted to say I wouldn't be on time, panic still floods my system. my phone buzzes as Matthew responds with an enthusiastic, no problem!

the drinks finally show up on the counter and I duck between lethargic customers to make my way outside. winter is just setting in; the wind bites at my face and fingertips.

I've been to SoHo before, but not often. even for New York standards, it's expensive. all of it is still slightly unfamiliar as my new boots trample over dirty sidewalk sludge to his place. I pass local shops, boutiques, memorizing all the details so that I can run errands better. on Tuesday, it took me a whole twenty minutes just to find the bodega he goes to. 

patches of ice occasionally threaten to upend me, but the overall walk isn't long. soon enough, I'm staring up at a building that houses people whose salaries double what I'll make in my entire lifetime. it's a revamped place, not unlike many Manhattan apartments, but last night's snowfall looks pretty on the window panes. I run up the steps of the front stoop, sliding the new key into the lock and making my way to the elevator.

I check my reflection in the warped metal walls of the lift as it heads up to the top floor. normally, I would never dress this nicely, but I've been trying to look more professional. the doors slide open and I move quickly into the hallway, trying to shave as much time off of my lateness as possible. 

"morning, Mr. Gubler!" I greet loudly once I unlock his door and step inside. it's still mostly dark in the apartment, light filtering through the slats of the blinds. my feet carry me into the small kitchen.

"are you sitting in the dark?" I laugh, setting his to-go cup on the counter. Matthew looks up at me from his phone with a sleepy smile.

"yes. good morning, Ophelia." he wipes his eyes.

"you okay?" he's wearing a green sweater with an enormous banana knitted on the front and his hair is unbelievably messy; a pair of glasses perches slightly crookedly on his nose.

"just a late night. thanks for the coffee." he lifts the Americano to his lips. I nod.

"you have a meeting at ten-thirty, just in case you forgot."

"fuck." he slaps a hand to his forehead and groans.

"do you want me to reschedule?" I ask. he really does look very un-Matthew-like today. every other morning this week, he's greeted me with grins and ardent questions about my classes.

"no, no." he waves it off. "I just have a headache."

"here," I pull my purse out and find a bottle of aspirin. "I get those pretty often." he smiles and swallows the pill with his coffee.

"thanks."

"definitely. go get ready; I'll make you some breakfast or something." I shrug. he frowns.

"what? no, that's not in your job description."

I take one look at the wrinkled collar of his shirt and almost push him out of the room.