Chapter 9

Chapter 9~ Confrontations

"We have been expecting your arrival, Earl Phantomhive..."

I stood proudly, like a noble should, even though I had long since renounced my title. I still had my arm looped with Ciel. Joker looked us over and then shifted so that we could enter.

Ciel walked forward with me by his side and Sebastian following close behind. Once inside the manor we were enveloped in darkness, faint outlines of things gave some dimension to the otherwise black hole of night. When Joker snapped his fingers I could here squeaking and clanking coming from somewhere. Then a single flame ignited and flowed down many wires lighting the candles and illuminating the room. Joker lead us up the staircase and through hallways.

"Young master, should we kill him now and rescue the children?" Sebastian whispered to Ciel.

"No, we don't even know the motive yet..." Ciel stated.

"Very good my lord." Sebastian made a small bowing motion.

I silently clung to Ciel's arm until Joker started to laugh, "I guess the sayin' be true, 'ee can't judge a book by it's cover Smile," he gave an ironic grin before turning to me, "Siren..."

Ciel was about to talk back but to the shock of everyone I spoke first, "I don't take kindly to the help talking to me with such familiarity, please refrain from such absurd behavior..." I spoke with the dignity of the queen herself as well as a coldness only seen in a winter storm.

Joker laughed, "Pardon me miss. Dinner is ready..." Joker stopped at a door and lead us through it.

It was a large room with an even larger table set up so that it faced towards a stage. Joker pulled out a chair for me to sit in and then one for Ciel. Once we were seated Joker looked at a door.

"Here he is, presenting Baron Kelvin..." Joker announced. We heard footsteps before the door opened to reveal a heavily bandaged man in a bright crimson suit. He was in a wheel chair and it seemed some of the kidnapped children were brainwashed into serving him, they stayed by his side and pushed the wheel chair towards us while he spoke.

"Ah! You really came, Lord Phantomhive!" Kelvin looked excited, like he had been waiting for this moment his entire life. Then he turned to me, "You..."

I stared blankly at him before speaking, "Is there something wrong with me?"

"No, miss! Pardon but have I seen you before?" he asked as he was rolled over to a seat on the other end of the table, "Well no matter! Let us eat! I had a special dinner prepared for you my lord!"

The doors opened once more to reveal more kidnapped children dressed as maids and butlers carrying food and drinks.

"The wine is from the year you were born, a bit obsessive I know..." he nervously laughed.

Sebastian took a sip of the wine, "It does not appear to be poisoned my lord..." he smirked.

"I don't need a taste tester, I have no intention of eating a dinner put on by vermin such as this..." Ciel glared coldly.

Baron Kelvin put on a bright smile with his bandaged face, "I know why don't I give you entertainment! It must be awfully boring to sit and dine without a show! Joker why don't you put on that circus you're so proud of for the Earl and his companions!"

Joker looked at him a bit frightened, "But-!"

Kelvin looked at him before biting down on the lobster, "Don't talk back, it'd be a shame if something would happen to your other little siblings in the warehouse...now Joker put on a good show!"

Joker nodded and stepped onto the stage in front of us while spinning his cane and giving a fake smile instead of his usual real ones. He introduces a circus with the kidnapped children! Sebastian and Ciel already notice this as well.

"First up is our dazzling tightrope walker! There be no safety net tonight folks!" he was cut off when the girl fell off the tightrope to her death, Joker visibly cringed but did not stop. Two other children dragged off the girl's body leaving a trail of her blood as they went.

"Next up," A cage was rolled in behind him holding a grown lion and a small boy, "Is our brave lion tamer!" Joker cringed once more still trying to hold a smile while another child was killed, this time eaten by the beast of a lion. Baron Kelvin smiled and clapped laughing hysterically while Ciel and I looked on horrified.

"Next is our amazing knife thrower! What will happen to this innocent young lass?" Joker flinched as he said this wincing at the images he conjured up of what could be.

"Sebastian stop them!" Ciel cried out as his eyes widened slightly with worry at the idea of having to watch another innocent child die. I sat blankly, not daring to move in fear that I might loose control and murder the baron here and now.

Sebastian rushed over just in time to catch the knife inches before it could kill the young girl and then made a show of stating her name in confirmation that she was indeed one of the kidnapped children.

With this information I slowly got up and glared menacingly at the baron, how dare he! Ciel looked at me in slight confusion as I reached inside his coat and grabbed his gun. "Ciel?" I asked while inching closer and closer to the baron, "You have enough information for the queen correct? You can just say that the kidnapper was an obsessive pervert of a man that, like all rats, had to be disposed of. I'm sure that if you save the children she won't mind you killing him..." I ended darkly while raising the gun only an inch from the wretched man's head. Swiftly Joker had a sword to my neck while Ciel stood in front of me protectively, Sebastian had the thrower's knife at Joker's neck from behind.

"Oh, did you not enjoy the show? J-Joker! Quite pointing that dangerous thing at the Earl and Lady!" Baron Kelvin said.

"But!" Joker looked uncomfortable but slowly lowered his weapon. I still had the gun raised as I looked at Ciel for permission.

"Where are the other children?" Ciel demanded.

"Oh! You want to see them?" Kelvin gave a creepy grin, "They are in the basement! I can take you there to see them! I've been wanting to show you something down there anyway!"

As we piled into an elevator an overwhelming sense of dread came over me...