Chapter 7~Sky

I had a older brother named Caleb.

He was the protective kind.

The trustworthy kind. And the kind that could keep secrets.

I never told him my biggest secret though, and I feel like it is the biggest mistake I ever made.

Now he can find out about it, and that burden can be taken away. The burden of betraying my own brother.

Caleb always wanted to support the family. He left my family to work across the country when I was 12. I told him not to go, but he said that he had to, and he would see me soon enough.

He had been 16.

We hadn't heard from him since he left. He would be twenty by now.

But we thought he was dead. Does Ash know something that I don't? Does he know my brother?

Ash is looking at me like I'm crazy.

"Where is he? Is he here?!" I ask.

Ash shakes his head.

"He is with the others." He says.

"He has a talent too!?" I ask.

"No. But he leads the group. He is the guy who is in charge of the others." Ash says.

I feel so relieved inside. Caleb is alive. But how am I supposed to find him? It isn't going to be easy.

"Sky!" Ash says suddenly.

"What?" I ask.

"You are the answer. We can find the others with you! Caleb can't refuse his own sister!! They are sure to let us in. We can leave the day after tomorrow!" He says. I smile.

"Perfect" I say, smiling at Ash.

Its late now, and Ash starts to get up. I start to panic. Is he leaving me here?

"Where are you going?" I ask.

"To my house. You can stay here if you want. The couch is free. I'll come by tomorrow to get you." He says, about to leave.

I get up.

"Nope." I say.

"What? Why not?" He asks.

"Because... I'm coming with you." I say.

I know I can trust him now, and I feel the most safe I have felt in a while when I am near him. I'm not quite sure why that is.

Ash just smiles.

"Good" He says.

I walk over beside him with and he puts his arm around me. 

I decide to not wave him off just this one time. We leave the building together.

The sky is dark, and our bodies are illuminted by the moon as we make our way over to Ash's building. He watches me as we walk.

As soon as we are through the door I open my backpack and pull out my cover. Then I lay it out on the floor far enough away from Ashes bed.

"I'll take the floor." Ash says to me, but I shake my head no.

"This is your house, and I'll sleep on the floor." I state.

"Come on Sky, just take the bed." He says looking at me pointedly.

"I can't hear you!" I say, laying down on my cover and closing my eyes.

"Fine. At least take some of my covers." He says, throwing a thicker blanket to me. It lands on top of me messily.

I roll over and look at him, only to see that he is already off in a corner with a candle.

He is reading some sort of notebook, so I decide not to bother him. I take the cover and pull it over me and then close my eyes.

I wake up on the bed.

Ash is already up, and making breakfast.

I get up, and pull my light blonde hair out of my sweater. It falls over my face. I walk up behind Ash with my arms crossed.

"So, do you care to explain how I ended up on the bed, when I fell asleep on the floor?!" I say angrily.

Ash says nothing and totally ignores me.

"I said I was staying on the floor!" I protest.

Ash gives me a small grin, and disappears out of thin air.

"Hey! Get back here! I deserve a explanation!" I yell.

I hear someone laugh behind me, but when I turn, no one is there.

"Two can play at that game!" I yell angrily to the now seemingly empty house.

I know that he can hear me. He doesn't reappear, so I decide to take matters into my own hands.

I slowly move towards the window. I draw a cloud with my pointer finger, concentrating in my mind, on the room I am in.

Below the cloud, I draw a small snowflake, with crisp edges.

It starts to snow lightly. Small gentle flakes. I look around. Off to one side, I see small little piles gather on what I guess are Ash's shoulders and head.

I  hide my smirk as I walk over to the piles.

"Ash!" I say, trying to pretend I still don't know where he is.

Ash stays still. I pass where he is standing.

Just as I am about to spin around and jump onto where I guess Ash is, I slip on the melting snow on the floor. My heart speeds up in panic and I let out a yelp as I fall.

Suddenly, I am caught, and Ash reappears, holding me just above the wet floor.

Our faces are inches apart.

My breathing slows as I stare up at him through my lashes, still in shock. He holds me there, silent for a few seconds.

"I won't drop you, but only if you will forgive me for moving you last night." He says.

I glare.

"Fine!' I reply, weighing my options out.

He lifts me up slowly, and we are still so close. I stare into his misty blue eyes. And then just as quickly as he caught me, he has moved away.

Back to making breakfast.