Chapter 2

Josith intertwined little white flowers into Jezebel's hair as the two lovers sat atop a hill on the outskirts of town, the sun nearing the horizon. The mountains in the distance made them feel safe, the memory of last night’s encounter already fading. Jezebel fidgeted.

“Be still.” Josith retied the knot that had slipped in his fingers.

            She laughed. “I cannot believe you're putting flowers in my hair. Just wait until I tell the others about this.”

            He tugged gently on her tresses until her head arched back far enough that she was forced to look into his eyes. “You tell anyone and I swear, I'll ignore you for a week.”

            “Alright, you win.” She laughed. “But it better look good when you’re done.”

            He smiled mischievously. “I promise it will be the most beautiful your hair has ever looked.” Stems and leaves poked out everywhere. He laughed quietly as he laced another one into her auburn strands.           

After several minutes, she slumped her shoulders. “What are you doing back there?” She reached behind to feel, but he swatted her hand away.

            “No touching yet!” he barked.

            “I'm tired of sitting here.”

            “I'm almost done,” he lied. She was probably going to kill him when she saw the mess he’d made, but playful sabotage was his intention.

             “You said that twenty minutes ago.”

            “Don't worry. I'll be done in a minute. These things take time.” As he reached for another flower, he realized he'd picked all the ones near him. Spotting a small patch off to the right, he leaned over to grab some.

Jezebel seized the opportunity to pat her hair. She gasped. “Josith, you liar!”

            He pushed her hand away again but it was too late. “I told you not to touch it!”

            “It's a big mess, I can feel it. There are flowers everywhere!”

            He rolled with laughter.

            She slapped him on the arm. “You sneaky rat! I’m going to get you back for that!” Jezebel launched herself at him, pushing him back onto the grass.

He grabbed her wrists and rolled her over until he was on top. Her blue-green eyes sparkled with playfulness. “I’m offended you don't like my work,” he said.

            She snorted. “What work? It will take me forever to get these out.”

            “That mess was my masterpiece.” He nuzzled her cheek then kissed her softly on the lips.

            “Will you let me do your hair next, then? I think it's only right that you should be wearing your own masterpiece as well.”

            Josith instinctively tucked an errant strand of his blonde hair behind his ears, knowing it was just long enough for her to put flowers in if she really wanted to. “Not a chance.” He leaned down and kissed her neck.

Giggling, she tried to push him away with her chin. “Stop kissing me. You do it on purpose to stop me from getting you back.”

“Perhaps that was my plan all along.” He breathed against her flesh, ready to press his lips to it again, but sat back on his knees, instead, and admired her. “You are so beautiful.” He studied her for a moment longer. “I love you.”