Chapter 38: Initiation

Wow...

How long has it been?

Hard to believe it's been over three months since I crash-landed on this planet.  I figured that I would've gotten used to it by now. But the surreal reality was hitting like a ton of bricks, giving butterflies to the stomach.

Zootopia - a world dominated by a conglomerate of animals - was about to have its very first human police officer working in their midst.  It would be a significant moment in the history of both worlds.  The citizens had no idea what to expect.  Neither did I.

We crossed the red tape, dismantled social barriers, and pulled off the unexpected.  Perhaps the ZPD was much crazier than I thought.

Yet, here we were.  

The three of us rode the police cruiser in style through the bustling backstreets of the exotic city.  It was an indescribable feeling and the future was going to be wild.

Charity, my little coyote friend, sent me a morning text.

Charity:  Heeey!   Good luck on your first day, Cherry!  Keep me updated!  <3

Cherry:  thanks, i will.

I closed down the HUD and refocused on the case files folder.  Both the excitement and the nerve were building up.

Soon we'd be fighting crime... cleaning up the city... and bringing forth justice...That was today's plan.

But plans suddenly changed.  

Clawhauser's voice came over the radio and we were given a new assignment.  Instead of pursuing a street racer near Outback Island, we were assigned to patrol the Skunk Appreciation Parade.

Perhaps parking duty would've been better.   Getting paid to stick overpriced slips of papers under windshield wipers was more engrossing to me.  I didn't travel across the universe to babysit skunks.  Yet, what choice did we have? 

Judy and Nick pulled up to the curb near the venue, just outside Savannah Central.

I stepped out of the police cruiser - gradually taking in the weight of the reality - but no one else followed.  I turned to the duo.  "Are you coming?" 

The bunny shook her head.  "Go ahead and get yourself checked in.   We'll meet you at Sahara Square around noon."

I checked my HUD and it was 9:47 AM.  "Alright, what's our mission?"

They both gave me a funny look.

Judy answered.  "You'll be part of the parade escort.  That means keeping the crowds under control and helping those in need."

The fox turned to me.  "And while you're at it, go mingle with the lovely mammals.  Socialize for once," he smirked, gesturing to the thick crowd of skunk civilians that were congregated ahead of us.  "It'll be good for ya."

Judy started the car back up.  "But please hurry.  The parade will be starting at any minute now.  Tune your radio if you need us!"  

"We'll be on channel seven." Nick reminded, gesturing towards the leather utility belt strapped around the waist of my armor.  "I assume you know how that thing works."

Annoyed, I clenched the old-school device in my gauntlet, ostentatiously waving it back at him.  Shame this world never invented HUDs for communication.  Portable radios were an unnecessary weight to any utility belt.  But the ZPD required all officers to have one.