Chapter Twenty-Five: Over The Moon

Sasha was still set on her mission to ignore us. I think the rest of our group got a whiff of the huge scene yesterday because the lunch table was peculiarly quiet , everybody trying to subtly switch their gazes between the three of us.

The silence was deafening and I had such a hard time just spooning food into my mouth because of how uncomfortable I was with the situation.

But that was when I felt a tap on my foot below the table. I looked up and saw Leon, his attention on his meal but I knew it was him who did it. And that was all I needed to exhale loudly and release the tension building inside my body.

Something changed between us. Not sure in what way, but I definitely felt it.

And it wasn't just me who thought that, Mia noticed it as well. It was so obvious from the way she was eyeing both of us suspiciously during the whole car ride to school. I sincerely hope Sasha doesn't figure it out, because I cannot fathom how she would react considering she was right with her rant.

I did reject Pat and now I was getting closer to Leon.

I just want us to be all friends again. Was that too much to ask?

When the bell rang, I have never seen a more relieved group of people. Everybody stood as fast they possibly could from the table and rushed out of the cafeteria, and that included Sasha. My shoulders slumped and I groaned, leaning my head against Mia's shoulder, "This sucks!"

"I can talk to her," Pat offered, waiting for us two girls to stand up, "Besides, it's partly my fault."

Mia shook her head, patting the top of my head in comfort, "I think at this point, that will only make it worse."

Leon walked around the table so he was standing next to us. He reached down and tugged on my arm lightly, "You guys did say that it's better to wait until she cools down."

Though I was afraid that with yesterday's events, we might as well be waiting for nothing.

I frowned deeply and stood up, slinging my bag on my shoulder and taking Leon's hand so we could finally make our way to class, "She might never cool down."

"She will," he reassured, tightening his grip as we both started walking.

Though we only managed to take a few steps before we both realized what we did. We stared at each other, our eyes wide in surprise, before slowly looking over our shoulders to see our best friends gaping there in disbelief.

We immediately let go of each other, taking a huge step away from the other person. I tried to think of an excuse, but my mind was blank because Mia, who always had something to say in every situation, was speechless.

And then there was Pat. At first, I was so afraid that he might look hurt but there was no other expression on his face but pure and utter shock. I could practically see the gears turning in his head as he tried to comprehend the situation.

"So..." I trailed off, clearing my throat and marching to where they were, looping my arm with Mia, "Let's go to math!"

Oh dear god, how can I explain something that even I was confused about?

Thank heavens though that we did it in front of Mia and Pat only. It would be far easier to explain if it was just the two of them.

"Will you tell me what's going on?" Mia whispered harshly as we rushed to the classroom.

"Would you be mad if I say no?" I tried to say jokingly, but it was definitely half meant as a way to gauge her thoughts.

Unfortunately, she was in no laughing mood, "Yes!"