The Midnight Raid

"We go tonight," the Sleeper said.

The Ghataka clan was gathered around the pool table. But instead of balls and racks on the table, there lay blueprints, headshots, and plans.

The Sleeper put his finger on one of the blueprints. "There's a weak spot in the concrete. We can break through there. The place isn't very heavily guarded. We need more arms, ammunition, and gunpowder."

Kara twirled her revolver around her finger. It may have been an old-fashioned weapon, but she loved it. Her shiny black hair was pulled up into a tight ponytail, and her catlike eyes gleamed. "I'll take a team to deal with the guards."

The Sleeper nodded. "We'll split into three. Naci will lead the frontal assault. I'll take a team to break through the weak point. And Little Wolf-" his different-colored eyes flicked to his other daughter. "You'll take a team to sneak in the back."

Aru nodded, fingering the pistol in its holster on her belt. This was her big break. If they could pull this heist off, the Ghatakas would be the biggest gang in Atlanta. No more meddling from that pesky Alu gang. If she had her way, they'd all be imprisoned. If her father had his way, they'd all be killed.

Either one works, really, she thought.

The Sleeper nodded to the rest of the gang. "Be ready at midnight."

The hooded members nodded solemnly. Even Aru didn't know all their names and faces. Everyone was required to wear a hood and use code names. Hers was Little Wolf. Her sister Kara's was Nisanaci, or Naci for short, Hindi for "Sharpshooter". Her father Suyodhana's was, of course, the Sleeper.

The Ghatakas left through the basement door. Suyodhana, Aru, and Kara climbed the stairs into the main part of the house. Suyodhana locked the basement door behind him.

Kara walked over to the fridge and pulled out some leftover rice and chicken.

Dinner of champions, Aru thought. She twisted her longish braid around her fingers.

"I'll be upstairs," Suyodhana said. "Call me when dinner's ready. After you've eaten, finish your homework, then get ready."

That's right. Aside from being a part of one of the biggest gangs in the state, Aru and her sister still had to attend school. Bleh. She would've taken a bomb to that place a long time ago, but her father kept all the explosives in a locked closet that she couldn't break into. Not to mention that she'd been too scared to try.

Hours passed. The sun had set long ago.

Kara rapped on Aru's door. "C'mon, sister. Don't want to be late to the biggest raid of the season, do you?"

"Gimme a second!" Aru shouted. She adjusted the belt on her waist. Everyone in the Ghataka clan dressed the same when it came to raids- black t-shirt, black hoodie, black jeans, black combat boots, black mask, black gloves, black belt.

A lot of black, basically.

Aru opened her door. Kara waited in the hall, twirling her revolver around her fingers. Aru's own twin pistols were holstered on her belt. She also kept a knife in her boot. The pistols and knife were just backups, though. Tonight she'd use one of her father's rifles. She'd been training for a long time, and could even hit a bullseye from half a mile away.

Kara looked her sister over. "Ya look ready to break into an arsenal."

Aru smiled. "That's 'cause I am. You ready?"

Kara cracked her knuckles, which Aru thought a bit dangerous, since she was holding a loaded revolver. "I was born ready."

The two girls met their father in the garage. His modest black car had the license plate covered over with black duct tape.