Chapter 3: Human Empathy

A/N 1: I figured I'd gift you guys some more writing. I'm... really not mentally doing great at the moment. No one has died, so that's good... I'm just feeling really alone... I just want some attention from my friends and I feel... bad for wanting that attention... It's a whole cycle of bad thoughts and shit... So I figured I could do some writing to pass the time and distract me. I'm not sure how this is going to go, but I hope the writing isn't that bad. This'll probably more Caleb's POV than anyone else'sssss with Luz ofc)... Because he's... me, in a way... IdkhowtoexplainthissoI'mjustgonnastartwritingnow-

--------------------------------------------------

Caleb awoke to find his room still dark.

He turned in his bed with a groan to look at his clock. Leaning forward to get a closer view, the time said it was 4:38 am. According to the date below, today was a Saturday... That is at least an upside. He moved to sit up, pain instantly shooting up his leg. He winced and bite his lip, concealing the whine rising in his throat. That was probably why he woke up at such an early hour. Not completely unusual to be woken up early before his alarm by his leg, but never when it is still dark.

He grabbed his phone off the dresser, looking to see if there were any notifications... And to see if Luz was up. There is a 50/50 chance she is. The school is good at messing with its students' sleep-schedules, especially with the harder assignments due the next day.

'Nothing new...' he thought as he checked. He shot a text to Luz and waited for a response.

Trashdog [4:40am]
Hey luz... U awake?

A response buzzed in a couple of minutes later.

Azura'sapprentice [4:42am]
Hey cal
Y r u up so early?

Trashdog [4:42am]
Leg decided to be a bitch tonight.
Er- today
...
It really hurts... Bad...
Could u... Distract me from it?

Azura'sapprentice [4:43am]
Yea, sure.
...
Do u want me 2 sneak over 2 ur place??

Trashdog [4:43am]

U DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT!!1!1
I'mmeansureitwouldbenice-
But I don't want either of us to get in trouble 4 one of my small problems...

Azura'sapprentice [4:43am]
Cal, if ur leg hurts enough to wake u up at sum unholy hour, then it's not sum 'small problem'.
I know u tend to keep how bad things can be 2 urself
Let me help u like u do 4 me

Azura's apprentice [4:44am]
I'm omw rn, u strawberry blonde mess
Make sure ur window is unlocked
Get ready for the luz special >:)

Caleb quickly rubbed his eyes with his arm and scrambled out of bed, putting on his glasses. He hopped as quietly as he could over to where his window should be and peered out, pressing his forehead against it to see better. After another couple of minutes, he squinted to see Luz's blurred figure make her way to his house, running down the sidewalk. The walk from her house to his wasn't much of a long ways.. just a block or so? He only takes an uber because it would strain his leg to walk that far.

He saw Luz's figure stop in the middle of the front lawn. She was checking to see if any lights were showing for any of the upstairs windows. She then came up to the window, and both kids grabbed the bottom and pulled it up, the frame squeaking slightly as it moved. Caleb held out an arm, the other arm supporting him against the wall. Luz grabbed his hand and clambered through. Caleb hopped over and switched the lights on, revealing both of them in their pajamas. Caleb blushed when he realized he didn't have a top on; he only wears a pair of baggy and comfy pants to bed because only men live in the house, so decency it's really top-priority when it's just them. He crosses his arm over his chest. "Let me find a shirt." He turned to his closet, quickly pulled out the first wrinkled shirt he saw and slipped it on. Luz sat down on Caleb's bed and he did the same. When they both met each other's gaze, Caleb noticed something. Luz's chocolate eyes had a bit more special kind of light in them than they usually did, despite the semi-dark circles both kids sported. Luz's eyes then landed on Caleb's shirt and she made a quiet snort, trying not to laugh. Caleb's brows furrowed in confusion, then peered down at his shirt.