C12 | The Cave

The bridge from the Alpha's Forum to the cliff face was now behind them, along with the island as darkness greeted the front of their canoes

The bridge from the Alpha's Forum to the cliff face was now behind them, along with the island as darkness greeted the front of their canoes. Cora had watched Roman and Asla guide the carriage that carried Ben, and they had made landfall in the beaches of the cliff face.

The further Cora went, the more she felt like she betrayed Ben. But she truly had little control here, and perhaps that was what stung the most-she was alone in this, with Hilda as a limited guide.

Looking back ahead, the only bearings that Cora had was the moon and the light it cast, revealing that the lake was a large oval shape, with the island of the Alpha's Forum at the bottom of the oval, like an eye to a fish. They were now slowly gliding through the rest of it, the moon revealing the cliffs that surrounded them, as if they were ants inside of a trench, the mountains gently narrowing to reveal a river directly ahead.

Cora knew she needed to compartmentalize and focus. She yawned and was exhausted, but there was too much to cover to rest. Cora looked at Mina, who stared out over the lake, her thick, curly black hair crowning her head, the coiling edges catching the light of the lantern behind her.

Cora asked, "So why you and Ludovic? As in, why you both, specifically?"

She couldn't help but be skeptical of nearly every detail here. Not until Cora knew them and their ways.

Mina's dark eyes moved to Cora. "Oh, yes...well, let's see...Ludovic is related to Theran. They're actually cousins. Ludovic was given the task of personally watching over you, and so Ludovic chose me to help translate and give you someone to talk to. So he is here due to the Alpha, and I am here due to Ludovic's choosing."

Giving a nod, Cora looked at her hands, her fingers cold. "So, what does having a guard entail?" she asked, genuinely curious. She was used to patrols in the village, but not someone like Ludovic, guarding her at all times. Or, she supposed Hilda was akin to that, but Ludovic felt quite a bit more serious than Hilda. And he was a stranger.

Mina looked up at the sky in thought. "Well, he will essentially be with you at all times. Following you nearly everywhere. It's both for protection and politics, since he is aware of what's required from an Omega. But he does not speak the human tongue, therefore I am necessary. I also am here as a source of friendship, if you so wish-" she spoke with more pride and looked at Cora-"he said I am very amicable and would be excellent to guide an Omni. I will do everything I can to make your life more accommodating."

The corner of Cora's mouth turned upwards as she wanted to smile, but she was so tired that it was even hard to do that. Either way, Mina was a fresher breath of air than the crisp wind that surrounded the lake.

Cora said, "Just to let you know, I am not used to making friends, to be honest. I don't really know how. So sorry if I am awkward or something. Please let me know if I do anything that's wrong, rude or whatever. I want to learn your customs."