Chapter 16: Cold Tea

Começar do início

I considered him a little more than an acquaintance, a little less than a friend.

I really, really hoped I'd find myself in a friendship with him, but he was only staying in the hotel another 10 or so days.

"Good morning. Need any help?" I replied, mimicking her happy tone.

"If you don't mind. Tommy and Ben need help taking orders; the restaurant's getting busy."

"Of course!" By now I had a good understanding of the Hotel and how to work there, and the staff were like 2nd family to me.

We, as a collective, were happy to work together; there were the older workers, who'd been here for a number of years, and then the younger workers, like myself.

For once, I felt like I fit in. I felt...cherished, loved, useful.

Mr Paisley gave me a job with my best interests at heart, where I could shine. Turned out, I really loved catering - serving food, cooking food.

"Hello! How can I help?" I asked, pulling out my notebook.

"Hi Olivia!" Louis and Harry greeted me with their usual charm.

I smiled, "Where are the others?"

"Zayn's showering, Liam's with Paul and Niall went somewhere." Louis shrugged.

"Ah. I see. What do you guys want to eat?"

"Pancakes!" Louis exclaimed, making me laugh, while Harry gave him a disapproving look.

"And I'll have smoked Scottish salmon." Harry grinned, surprising me by choosing one of the hotel's specialities.

As I noted down their orders and turned to walk away, Harry grabbed my wrist, "You okay now? You really were drunk!" Harry chuckled.

"Harry." I scolded. "This is my place of work, don't get me fired." I hissed, noticing some guests looking our way.

Harry blushed and Louis grinned, satisfied with my response.

***

I was carrying a tray of scones and tea up to room 16; the couple I'd booked in earlier, when I spotted movement in the lobby.

I narrowed my eyes, glimpsing dark hair near the sofa.

I set down the tray on the table, silently but quickly looking for the person in question.

Who would hide behind a sofa? Why were they here? I certainly couldn't imagine some of the older guests doing this, so assumed it was probably a member of One Direction.

I gasped when I caught sight of a girl, hidden behind the red leather sofa.

"Hello?" I asked, my voice shaky and cautious.

The girl bumped her head, cursing.

"What are you doing behind a...sofa?" I asked, suppressing my laughter.

I put on a serious face, wondering how ever this girl, whom I'd never seen at all before, had made it past main security.

She stumbled to her feet, rubbing her head in the process.

"I was hiding."

"How did you get past security? What room are you staying in?"

She shook her head with nonambiguity, "I'm not staying in this hotel."

"What...what, are you new? I don't believe it's professional to conduct yourself in this manner in a five star hotel." I tried for my stern, patronising teacher alter ego. She did the trick.

The girl hesitated, and only then did I see her fully.

She ran a shaky hand through her dark brown hair, long, with her side fringe curled because of the rain, I suspected.

She was clothed in a baggy, unkempt plaid shirt over a Rolling Stones top, with black Doc Martens dog-eared and pulled over black jeans.

"I...I'm sorry, I had nowhere to go. I saw there was a park and I saw the back door of the hotel, came through there. I was going to find somewhere to sleep but I heard you walk down and hid there." She gestured to the sofa.

"What do you mean, you had nowhere to go?" I asked.

She looked exactly like I had, the night I ran away from home.

"Look, there's a bathroom down there, wait five minutes." I remembered I needed to give room 16 their tea, and realised I'd been stood here for six minutes.

"I'll be back in a minute, please try not to be seen." The lobby was empty for now, but the hotel was always busy, with people passing by every so often.

She nodded slowly, "Okay. I'm Rose Taylor, by the way."

She extended her hand, finally looking me in the eye. "Olivia Nicholson."

Though she looked tired and weary and her makeup had ran, I could tell she was a very pretty girl.

**

I had returned to the kitchen, boiled the kettle and this time made it to Room 16 in double quick time.

After apologising to the, rather displeased couple, I ran back to the bathroom.

I worried that I'd be given a bad review by them, but they seemed to understand. I hoped.

"Rose? You in there?" I asked. The bathroom was empty.

Suddenly, I heard Rose. "Nice painting. This place seems to know their bit about art." She emerged from the corridor on the other side of the overly large bathroom.

I shrugged. "I know nothing about art."

Rose smiled, "I've always loved art, had my own studio before..." Her face paled and I stepped around her.

"Before what?" I asked. "Rose, you came into this hotel with no intent on staying here - why is that? I'm being extremely generous in allowing you this concession, so before I get fired and you're kicked out, please tell me why I shouldn't call security." There, I thought, surprised by my assertion. She looked at me blankly, like the threat of security didn't frighten her.

She looked around, checking no one else was able to hear.

"No one else is here." I snapped, possibly too harshly. I knew my job was on the line; first I'd displeased guests, and second, I'd allowed Rose in here. I guess I was far too kind - it wasn't my department to tell people where to go.

She took a deep breath, as if preparing herself for what she was about to say.

I crossed my arms impatiently.

"I paid rent to this guy, Ben, to stay in his apartment. I turned the room into my art studio and stayed there for a while. My mum left with her partner earlier this year, and I slept rough for the first few months."

I gasped, my eyes wide. I felt terrible for judging her too soon - after all, hadn't I been in a similar position not too long ago? The thought made me crumble.

"Ben got tired of me; I was lousy with my payments and I...couldn't pay him anymore. So I turned to robbing shops, as a way of paying him." She looked at her hands, and I knew she was almost as innocent as I, dealt with a sh*t hand of cards.

I didn't know what to do.

"Does he know where to find you?" I whispered, understanding her vehemence earlier.

She didn't say anything; neither no, nor a yes. She didn't know, and the true terror on her face chilled me to the bone.

"What do you expect me to do?"