One Last Glimpse of the Sun

And the mist lifted.

It all flew up far above the treetops, where it condensed into a massive cloud, which then dispersed in a million different directions. Rays of yellow light streamed down to the forest floor, coating everything with a golden glow.

Aru heard a sharp gasp next to her. Sanemi stood there, alive again, staring upwards.

"Sanemi?" She said.

"The sky," the spirit breathed, leaning against a white birch tree. "I haven't seen it in so long."

Even after just one week, Aru was glad to see the clear blue sky. She couldn't imagine four whole years without it, only clouds and mist for the weather.

She glanced back at the spirit, and as the sun's rays hit her, her grey form began to dissolve.

"Sani!" Aiden exclaimed, trying to grab her arm, but, like normal, his hand touched nothing.

Sanemi only smiled sadly, her eyes gleaming with a wisdom beyond her age. It sort of reminded Aru of Sheela whenever she read the future. "When met with light, the mist dissipates, and I do the same. Kalivana is freed from the spell of the Mistress, but now, there is no magic holding it together. It will be destroyed, and as my life is tied to it, so shall I."

"No-" Aiden choked.

But Sanemi only raised a hand in farewell. She seemed perfectly calm, like she had known this was going to happen for a long time and was totally okay with it. "Thank you for one last glimpse of the sun."

And then she was gone, the last of her essence swept away by the gentle breeze.

Aru stared wordlessly at the place Sanemi had just been.

Two clouds floated down to the land, Urvashi and Hanuman standing atop each. Boo was perched on Hanuman's head. He fluttered down and stood on Aru's, as normal.

Aru extended the Trishubed to Urvashi. "Here," she said, her voice sounding uncharacteristically hollow. "We've got it."

Urvashi smiled gently and took the stone. "We'll put it in the divine vault. Nothing will be able to get to it anymore."

"You have done well, Pandavas," Hanuman said. "The sky court awaits you."

With a snap of Hanuman's fingers, the Potatoes and the devas were standing in the sky court (well, the Potatoes were standing. The Guardians were sitting).

Urvashi waved her hand, and the same hologram popped up. This time, instead of showing just the Trishubed, it chronicled the entire journey through Kalivana. A week in about fifteen seconds.

Boo hopped around on his throne. "I think we can all agree that the Potatoes have done well."

"Wait," said Hanuman. The hologram zoomed in on a scene- Aru didn't know which, but it focused in on Sanemi's journal. "Pandavas, do you still have that journal?"

Mini nodded, reaching into her bag and pulling out the leather-bound book.

"I'd like to add that to the divine archives," Hanuman said. "In case it contains any information we might need in the future."

Mini handed it over.

There was hushed whispering amongst the council. Aru tensed up, until Urvashi smiled.

"The Council has concluded that the Pandavas and their companions have done well," she said. "They will each be given the chance to ask for a gift, and if it is in the Council's power, we will grant it."

Aru looked at Brynne, like-

Are they serious? Mini's voice asked in their heads. It was the same question Aru had.

"You do not have to make your wish now," Boo said. "You can save it for a later date."

"I'll save mine," Mini decided.

"Me too," Brynne added.

Aru had no idea what to wish for, so she said, "Same here."

Rudy looked contemplative. Boo seemed to sense his dilemma.

"You are excused," he said to the Pandavas. "I have a feeling the boys need time to... think alone."

Brynne raised an eyebrow, but in the corner of the room, a portal appeared.

Mini grabbed both Aru's and Brynne's hands. "Come on. We'll wait for them."

The three Pandava sisters walked through the portal. The last thing Aru saw before the scene changed was Rudy smiling the widest she'd ever seen him.