Chapter 19

I stared as the two adults fought. I stood in silence, mourning the fact that nothing I could do would stop either of them. Dad had aggravated Thor, exactly how he had planned to. The Prince's reckless behavior could be so easy to predict. However, his actions seemed to be fueled by love, not the burning hatred my father carried for his own kind.

"This is madness, Loki." Thor hollowed over the piercing wind.

"Madness, is it? Is it?"

The deranged look on my father's face half scared me to death, but I stood my ground as the two battled each other, Loki swinging his septer, Prince Thor, his hammer. I routinely cringed every time either Prince's weapon came within an inch of the other's neck, my voice shattered. I couldn't yell or breathe, it was as if my whole body was anchored to the spot, unable to do any sort of mechanical functions.

And yet the men continued to fight, and the Bifrost continued to spin, destroying Jotunheim and all that stood in its wake. Swallowing, I slowly inched forward, my feet made of lead. I made a wide arch around the bickering brothers, and ventured into the Bifrost, searching for something, anything to stop it. But there wasn't anything.

Then I heard a loud pound, and the whole bridge vibrated as Prince Thor hit his hammer again and again, hard.

"What are you doing Thor!" Loki was yelling. "You break the Bifrost and you never see her again!" Then his eyes locked with mine.

"Rowan." He said slowly. "Rowan come out of there."

I shook my head. The man who had once been my father now terrified me. "No." I said softly, staring hard at the ground.

"Come on, child." Prince Thor spoke. "Get out of there." I timidly shuffled forwards, then sprinted at the Prince, clinging to him.

Satisfied with my position, he allowed me to hold onto his leg as he have the bridge one final blow, and the Bifrost fell.