Chapter One

MIA

MIA

The rain crashes onto my back, completely saturating my clothes as I stand and wait for the coach to pull up to the station.

Everything inside me hurts.

I knew it wouldn't go down well when I told my dad that I was going back to London suddenly and without notice, but I knew it would be a complete catastrophe when he and Lucas found out that the sole reason I was going back was because I was going to hop on a flight to New York with Grayson. The following day.

I thought about my decision for so long. For over a month I cut off all ties with Grayson and I focused on myself and my work. But I liked working; it kept my mind busy and diverted it from the deep, dark thoughts of Grayson and everything I loved about him.

Still love about him.

But it wasn't enough to make them completely disappear.

No matter how many reports I typed up, how many emails I sent and filed, how many aimless walks I took to the beach and how many times I cleaned and re-cleaned the house, Grayson always managed to force his way back into my mind.

Now he won't leave.

Because every night I reread the letter he sent to me, and each time the words are absorbed into my mind, my heart breaks that little bit more. I'm angry that I let him make me feel like I do; that I let his words have such a hold over me. But then I remember that he's always had a hold over me. I thought I could end what we had for good, but something about his handwritten words pulled on something inside of me - reminded me that not all hope was lost.

The rain clatters harder now, and just as I consider calling a taxi instead—despite the incredulous cost—a car pulls up to the coach station and the window winds down. My heart plummets when I see Tommy's face staring back at me.

"Mia? Is that you?"

I just about catch Tommy's confused expression as I hug the hood of my anorak tighter around my head, but I don't say anything. It won't be long until my dad and Lucas show up here once they've figured out that I'm not actually in my room, and I can't risk them seeing me with Tommy because that would be sure to add fuel to an already explosive fire. I need him to leave.

"Mia! It's hammering it down! Get in the car!"

I take a couple of steps forward and fold my arms. "Tommy, please just go. You can't be here."

"Mia what's going on? Why are you stood in the rain at this time of night? It's nearly 11pm!"

I shake my head. "Believe me it's a long story. I'm getting a coach back to London."