Adventure

A comforting beep filled up the white room where Sky was kept. Each beep a reminder that he was alive. Vale sat in the chair next to his bed, getting ready to say goodbye. Her arm had been reattached but Sky had still not woken up. They had taken away the medication that had kept him asleep, but when it wore off, Sky remained unconscious. 

"I was hoping you would wake up today," Vale said shuffling her feet against the ground. "They said it's probably for the best that you remain asleep. All the chaos isn't good for your heart. Dash says they can always make adjustments to make your heart stronger. So whenever you are ready, he can help you with that." 

She reached out and took his hand. "I just wanted to say, thank you. Thank you for coming with me to the AI ship. For protecting me when I first got there." She squeezed, weaving her fingers with his. "For being patient with me while I learned how to sign." She laughed. "I will keep practicing. But I won't ever look as graceful as you do when you sign. You make it look like an art form. Which would be annoying if it wasn't so beautiful to watch." 

Her cheeks turned red. "I wanted to talk about what happened in the training room, but I guess I'll have to wait until I get back. Until you wake up. And if you wake up while I'm gone, try not to kill Dash." She sighed. "I don't know what happened to you two, but you need to fix it. You're family and with how easily someone can get taken from you, you should treasure that." 

Vale stood up. "I'll be back." Leaning down, she kissed Sky's forehead. "Try to be awake when I do," she murmured against his ear, taking in the smell of eucalyptus and copper, a familiar sense of home. Standing straight, she walked out of the room to find Dash leaning against the wall. 

"You ready?" 

Vale nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be. Who am I going with on this trip?" 

Dash grinned. "You'll see." He began to hover above the ground. "Want a ride?"

Vale shook her head. "As much as bolting down the halls at lightning speed is a thrilling thing, I prefer moving around on my own two feet thanks." 

Dash shrugged and dropped to his feet walking in pace with Vale. "Suit yourself. Sounds boring but whatever. How's your leg feeling?"

"Always the doctor," Vale smiled at him. "Pretty good." He had put her in a more sturdy cast, adding several braces to help her movement and to take the pressure off of her bones which were slowly healing. "This is much better than the last casing you had me in."

Dash chuckled. "Well I know better this time. You need extra layers of protection since you REFUSE to listen to me and take it easy."

Vale rolled her eyes, "And you don't seem to realize that I have to runaround SAVING everyone and can't AFFORD to just take it easy." They arrived on deck to find someone shouting orders. 

"Ye better get 'em tied down unless ye want to get thrown overboard!" a booming voice barked. 

"Mortem!" Vale shouted in surprise. He stood at one end of the deck barking orders at Geo and Ace as they bolted around attempting to appease him, adjusting items on a skymaran. She laughed when they both turned and waved Vale over wildly. 

"Thought you'd like to go into the unknown with someone as crazy as you." 

Vale snorted. "No one will ever dethrone him," she turned and smiled at Dash. "But I appreciate the compliment." 

He burst out laughing. "That was meant to be an insult but good to know the theory is true." 

Vale shoved her hands into her pockets, feeling suddenly shy. "Hey, try not to get into too much trouble while I'm gone."