Chapter 78: The Cat and the Mouse

Rue Scarce

If I remember correctly, after one more hour in the host club, Helen and I finally decided to call it a night. Much to Candice's disappointment.

I had a good time with Aren despite both of us having lives completely different from each other but it might be convenient to have met him.

After bidding our goodbyes, I had to accompany Helen and Candice to their rooms that are far from mine because they obviously had too much to drink. So I, a kind and pregnant person, despite being tired myself, had to tuck two adult women in their beds before proceeding to mine.

When they wake up in the morning, I'll have them taste hell in my own way. I didn't even see Vindik tonight so I had no one to confide in-- that was wrong.

I shouldn't even think of Vindik when I'm in the middle of something as bothersome as he is.

Before I could even reach my quarters, guns were fired, bullets were flying everywhere, either hitting a person or an object, and screams let out a piercing sound in my ears.

That's what got me here in the first place. In a large room, filled with dead bodies, armed men, a sadistic woman who's leading this attack, and another person I least wanted to encounter in this situation.

Just hearing her voice had me clenching my teeth and jaw with contrite and in anticipation.

I turned around to meet her gaze and she was smiling as if she had found something so amusing.

"Rats should stay in their holes, or else the cat gets herself some dinner." She says, standing by the door with a gun in hand.

The armed men who were on their feet just a moment ago are now bloody and lying by her feet like dead flies.

"In your case, you're the rat right? After all, you were the one playing around in the organization back then." Sheer replies with the same tone of voice and with the same smile on her face.

"It's unpleasant to see you again, Sheer Blackett."

"Not as unpleasant as the feeling to see you, Aera Maverick. If I remember correctly, you ran with your tail tucked behind your ass when you betrayed the Leighton Family."

"Oh, so you're a part of the family then? I thought you were just a stain back then so I barely noticed you." The other person insulted.

Sheer's eyebrow twitched but her expression never changed.

Maverick's eyes looked around until they landed onto me. At first she didn't care that I was present, but the longer she looked, the more she realized who I was as her eyes moved between Sheer and me.

"I thought I recognized you from somewhere the first time we met. I was in a hurry back then so I didn't notice the resemblance. Now I'm sure." She mutters.

"It's good to see you again, Rue Scarce. Or should I say Mrs. Rue Leighton?"

I clicked my tongue and I didn't even hide the fact that I dislike her at a certain extent with the way I looked at her.

"I heard you married the young Lord after he turned twenty one. Should I call you Lady Leighton now?"

"I believe that you are no longer qualified for that. A traitor has no place in the Leighton Mafia Family."

"Right, I remember. You were the one who tatted to Dimitri when I almost got caught. Didn't think that an assassin in training would rat me out just to get to the Lord's good side. Next thing that happened you got promoted as the Lady of the House and-- look at that. Damn, you got a spawn of devil himself." She eyes my stomach with a smile but her eyes were swirling in disgust.