Selenophobia▪5

Evelyn:

The yellow florescent lights started to flicker above the aisle I was in. Making it seem more eerie with the lack of people around. I glanced up to take a look at them before turning my attention back to the baking goods infront of me.

Ambrosia was who knows where in the store, even though I reminded her plenty of times that we couldn't be here long.

In reality the only reason why we were able to leave the house tonight was because our mom hadn't come home from work yet. And Sebastian had left with my dad to go visit the emissary friend of his who lives here.

"Excuse me do you mind helping me find a few things?" The man had dark tinted glasses and a walking cane which lead me to realize that he was blind. I nodded my head but then cringed realizing that he couldn't see that.

Way to be an air-head. "Sure. I'm Evelyn." I introduced myself with a smile and took the list from his hand. He returned the smile and waited for me to look for the few things left.

Weird and lucky I guess that the last things on his list were all in this isle. "Such a lovely name by the way. Did you know that one of the meanings of the name Evelyn is life?" He asked. I don't know what it was but I couldn't help but feel abit unsettled by his words.

It's not that he said them in a creepy way, but, I don't know -- maybe it's just the fact that I can take someone's life away that made me feel uncomfortable. "I didn't know that. But I do however know that it means hazelnut too." I remarked.

My phone began to beep widely in my pocket, and me thinking that it was a message probably from my sister, pulled it out.

Instead I find a notification from the phobia of the day app.

What the hay? I only ever get these once a day and that's always at the same time each morning. Not knowing what else to do I open the app so it won't ring again.

My eyes caught sight of the phobia right before I closed it; Selenophobia: fear of the moon.

Must just be a glitch or something. I shrugged it off and returned with the last item on the man's list. "That is everything Mr..."

"Deucalion. No need for formalities after your help." He waved off.

I wanted to ask about his unusual name since I had never heard it before and it seemed like it would mean something alot cooler then hazelnut. But not wanting to be rude I refrained from doing so.

"Well if I see you around again then I'm more then happy to help." I offered, knowing that this town was small enough where I would probably run into him again.

He nodded his head before walking away. The sound of a pair of heeled shoes came barreling from behind me soon after.

"There you are! Hurry up lets go pay and leave before your bad luck rubs off and mom gets home." Ambrosia rambled away as she pulled me towards the cash registers.

"And then I was saying--are you even listening?" My sister asked with an irritated tone as she noted that I was too busy putting the bags away in the trunk of her car.

I smiled sheepishly before someone familiar looking caught my eye a few feet behind her. "Ambrosia, that's the man that mom was angry about when she found out that his family lives here." I said in a hush whisper so only she could hear.

"Just don't look back and we can leave without him even so much as knowing we where here."

Despite telling her not to look she spun around to stare. But instead of glaring at the him like I thought she would, she ended up ogling the man. "Wow. Mom forgot to mention that he's hot for an older dude."