MCPEW 025 DIVORCE PAPERS

"I miss you Mom." I whispered, kneeling in front of Mom's grave, and placing the bouquet of her favorite roses on top of it. I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat as my eyes surveyed the gold carving engraved through the tombstone.

Until now, I still can't believe that she is gone. Life without her would be so different. I lost not only my best friend but also my world as well.

"I don't want you to be gone, but it's better this way than seeing you suffer." I told her, tracing the tombstone with my fingertips. The image of her face came to my thoughts, but it was not the same agonized face I saw the last time at the hospital. Instead, it was the image of her serene face lit with a smile that formed in my imagination when I closed my eyes.

The wind blew past me, the wondrous scent of roses permeated my nostrils. I took a deep breath to fill my chest with its calming scent.

How I wish Mom was here even in her spirit form so she could see the flower I brought her. She will definitely appreciate the roses' pure white petals-as pure as her heart. If God would grant me a single wish today, it was for my Mom to be here so she could inhale the scent of her favorite flower and carry the memories of its fragrance on her journey to the afterlife.

But even if God would not grant my wish, I'm at peace knowing my Mom is in a safe place already. A place where pain, suffering, and sadness don't exist. The place where she belongs, it was in the loving arms of the Lord, where she would be truly happy.

"Dad, please take care of Mom," I said, turning to the grave next to her with tears clouding my vision. "I know she's finally happy with you."

The wind blew, sweeping the dry leaves from the ground, carrying it as far as it could before dropping them back to the ground. The thunder from the sky shattered the silence. I looked up and saw the gray clouds swallowing the tranquil morning sky.

It's going to rain soon. I don't have an umbrella with me.

I rose from the ground, tapping the dirt clinging from the slacks I wore before turning to the graves in front of me. "I need to go, Mom and Dad. Both of you will always be in my heart and in my prayer. I love you both." Then I turn away, wiping the tears from my eyes as my feet traverse the grassy fields.

I was nearing the cemetery gates when a man caught my attention. His back was turned to me, but it looked very familiar. There was something about him that reminded me of my husband-my EX-husband.

He was noticeably tall and muscular like Ace. He wore a simple black t-shirt and denim jeans. His build and stance reminded me of Ace. Speaking of my husband, I haven't seen him for a week. There was no way he would appear here, out of all places.

The man appeared as if he was waiting for someone.

Just when I thought it definitely couldn't be my husband, he turned to me. I stopped in my tracks. Instantly, my fists curled into a ball. I met his gaze, preparing for a fight.

"I didn't come here to bother you. I just want you to sign the divorce papers." He spoke, destroying the awkward silence between us.

I swallowed hard, not letting him see the sadness in my eyes by maintaining a paper blank expression. "You being here is bothering me. Don't you have a lawyer? I would rather sign the divorce papers without seeing you in person."

To my surprise, Ace ignored my remark. He just looked at me for a moment. His expression mirrored my own.

"I wanted to talk to you. That is why I came here." He finally spoke.

"I don't want to talk to you!" I replied, glaring at him. "I will sign the divorce papers after your lawyer sets an appointment with me." I marched past him. I made a beeline straight out of the cemetery without looking back. I could hear Ace's footsteps as he followed behind me.

When he reached my side, he immediately grabbed my arms, stopping me from my tracks. "Let me go!" I barked, furious at him for following me around. I struggled to free my arm, but his hold was stronger than my womanly strength.

In the end, I stopped resisting and looked up at him with daggers in my eyes.

"Can't you see I'm still grieving for my Mom's death? Why can't you just leave me alone? Why must you make me sign the divorce papers now when I just buried my Mother today!" I snapped angrily, choking back a sob.

His jaw muscles tightened. He looked as if he was ready to erupt. Then he sighed, calming himself within seconds before turning back to me. His tone became much gentler this time as he spoke.

"I'm sorry... I'm really sorry... We must talk today for the last time. After this, I promise, you will not see me again, not even my shadow." His ocean blue eyes filled with sincerity.

Startled by the helpless expression on his face, I pushed him away before he noticed my resolve soften.

"Do you really mean it? You will not bother me again after this?" I asked, eyebrows merging into a straight line.

"I give you my word of honor, Phoenix. just in case I did not keep my word, sue me and file a restraining order against me."

I took a deep breath. Ace had given me his word of honor, and I believe he will keep it. "Alright, there's a coffee shop nearby. We can talk there."

Relief washed over his face, but he said nothing. I followed him until we reached the parking area. He opened the door for me. He waited until I settled in my seat before he closed the door and got in the driver's seat.

He turned the engine on. The car sped away under the gloomy morning sky. My head turned to the window for the rest of the trip.