Four

Heavy footsteps approached her

Heavy footsteps approached her. She straggled to sit up, seemingly nonchalant, not wanting to show weakness in front of the man that had the face of her childhood best friend and that of the dense Captain of the Royal Guard of the Kingdom of Korea.

She wondered for a second how Yeong was handling her disappearance. She knew her King would be a little more than devastated, but she had yet to think of the man she had found an unusual comradery with recently. How would Yeong cope? He would move mountains for his King but would he do the same for her? Yes he would, Yeong was nothing without his loyalty.

"Are we done yet?" She said bitterly resting her head back on the wall and bringing one knee to her chest casually resting her elbow on it. "I have to go home now. My father will be worried I was missing for so long."

Not really, he probably wouldn't even notice her absence just like all these other times she had left. He would be positively oblivious of her absence up until the point the police squad knocked down the front door and demanded from him to tell them her whereabouts.

"You intrigue me, Miss Jung," the voice of the very man she was thinking about echoed in her ears. She smiled bitterly. "You seem to contradict yourself; one moment you tell me there's not a single member of your family we could find, ant then you tell us you must go back to your father? Pick one; either you have a family or you don't."

"I do have a family. That doesn't mean you're ever going to find them here. You can turn your world upside down and you wouldn't find any of them living here." She said almost bored.

"Ah, Yes. The parallel worlds theory," his tone was mocking but she didn't mind. "How's that fantasy going for you? Any news from your friends there? Did they send secret signals? Should we be bracing ourselves for an attack? Should we be looking for traps and conspiracies?"

Tae Eul chuckled.

"They will come for me," she repeated religiously. "By now my King probably knows what's going on and I'm quite sure he's going to put together a plan none of us can predict. You see Captain, you and I are the same, we're soldiers following orders and occasionally figuring out how to protect people we are responsible for or question the suspects of a crime. But our King is the brains between us. He's as smart as can be, so rest assured when he comes for me you won't even realize he was here until it's too late."

The captain remained silent for a few more seconds as if trying to consider what she was saying. Then he looked back at a person she couldn't see. It was dark again and the only thing she could tell from his silhouette was that he was tall. They seem to exchange a glance and the Captain nodded before turning back to Tae Eul.

"The King has agreed to see you," he said with a small cough. "I don't know why he would entertain the thought of listening to your ridiculous story, but it seems your wish to have a word with him has been granted."

"How generous," she mocked rolling her eyes. "Tell me is he a drama queen here too? Did he retake a deep breath, strengthened his chest and used his 'I'm the one and only King of Korea' tone while he did it."