The Last Chapter

Liam White

I can hear Sarah giggling at her phone from the next room over as I cross my legs and turn on my tv. Just a few minutes into my show, my bedroom door opens.

"Liam?"

My mom pokes her head around my door.

"Yeah?"

"Someone is waiting for you downstairs."

I sat up hoping it was Emilie, but I knew better because she would have walked on in.

I look at the front door as I approach the bottom of the stairs. A tall skinny guy with blonde curly hair stood in the doorway wearing a West Heights Football jacket.

"Can I help you?"

He awkwardly held up his hand, "You have no idea who I am, but I know who you are," he quickly returned his hand to his front pocket, "You are the guy that broke Farrah's heart."

I felt my head tilt to the side and my eyes narrow, "Excuse me?"

He shuffled his foot sideways, "My name is Carter Huffman," he half smiled, "I have heard the rumors about you and her."

"How do you even know her?"

Stepping all the way inside, he closes the door behind him, "That's actually why I am here. Can we talk on the couch or something?"

After a moment of staring him down, I finally motion him to the living room. I grab two cones from the fridge, offering him one.

"Thanks," he pops the tab open and the sound of fizzing fills the room, "I met Farrah back in June. She started hanging with some of my friends."

I took a drink of the coke and pushed my free hand to my chin, "June?"

He nodded his head, "She came to one of my friends parties out on the lake. Dude, we were all so drunk, I don't know who no one drowned."

My foot begins to tap in annoyance, "So why are you here, again?"

"Yeah," he took another long drink from his can, "I came to tell you that she is lying to you."

I felt my eyebrows connect, "What?"

He sat the can of coke down and pressed his palms across his jeans, "That night at the party, she was all over me, man. I was feeling it, she was feeling it, and after about seven beers, we made our way to Phillip's guest bedroom."

I nodded for him to continue.

"All she kept mumbling about with this guy named Liam and how he broke her heart and she wanted to forget about him," he looks up at me before continuing, "We were both drunk, and it just happened, man."

I stand up holding my hand out, "So y'all slept together?"

He nodded, "Yeah, then after that I never heard from her until about three weeks ago, she called me to tell me that she was pregnant."

I took another long drink.

He twisted his mouth to the side, "And it's my baby. Not yours."

My hands ran through the back of my hair over and over, "She knew it wasn't mine?"

He shrugged, "She told me to keep my mouth shut and she would handle it, but then I overheard some of my teammates talking about what she did to you."

I cocked my head to side and ran my top teeth across the bottom of my lip, "I am going to kill that bitch."

He held his hands up, "Hey, I just came to tell you the truth."

I scrunched my nose, "Do you have any proof?"

He pulled his phone from his pocket, "I can get you some," a few dial tones rang and then I heard her voice.

"What do you want Carter?"

He nervously stuck his hand in his pocket, "I was calling to check on you, and the baby."

"We are fine. Why?"

"Is it a crime to check on my baby, Farrah?"

I could picture her rolling her eyes as she spoke, "No, it's not Carter. Thank you for checking on us, is that all?"

He looked at me, and I shook my head no.

"No, actually I was going to ask when the next doctors appointment was?"

He shrugs and shows his nervousness.

She laughed, "You may have knocked me up, but you are in no way obligated to me or...it. So thanks but no thanks. Goodbye, Carter."

A loud beep sounded and the phone call was over.

He tucked his phone back in his pocket, "Is that proof enough?"

It was proof enough for me, but would it be enough for Emilie?

Emilie.

Shit, she was leaving.

"Thanks, man, I really appreciate you telling me everything, but I have to go."

The entire drive to Emilie's house was complete torture. I felt as though my foot couldn't push the pedal down any further, and my tires couldn't spin fast enough.

I tried calling her twice, no answer.

I turn onto her road and my heart sinks, the vehicles were gone. I pulled into her driveway and turned the engine off, I still had to try.

Dragging my feet to the front door, I lift my hand to it and knock three times.

Silence.

I knock two more times before taking a deep breath.

I mumble, "Damnit."

"I didn't leave."

My heart stops as I turn to see the most beautiful girl in the world standing in her front lawn.

"Emilie."

She met me halfway as I wrapped my arms around her, "You stayed?"

She nodded.

"I have to tell you something." 

I gently pushed her arms length away from me and stared into her deep eyes, taking a deep breath.

She raised her hand to my cheek.

"She is pregnant.... but it's not my baby."

Her eyebrows furrowed, "What?"

"She slept with a guy from West Heights, he showed up at my house an hour or so ago and told me everything."

I could tell she wanted to smile, but she still wasn't convinced, "You are sure?"

I nod, placing my hands on each side of her face, "He gave me proof, Emilie. It's not mine."

She finally smiled, "That is the best thing I have heard all day."

I wrapped my arms around her, "Wait," I pushed away from her, "How are you still here?"

She smiled even bigger, "I get to stay. My mom left for New York tonight, but I get to stay."

I shake my head in confusion, "How?"

Then she turned my world upside down with one simple sentence.

"I'm moving in with the Brooks."

Thank you to everyone who has read this book and journeyed along beside me! Book #2 is in process! Be on the lookout!!❤️