Wax Wings- XII

.

.

.

"What... are you two doing?" A woman's voice asked unsure. Something false instantly warped onto Hayden's face; it was so fast, so sudden, that even though he turned towards the doorway the instant a sound was made- a mask had already been set against his face with no hint of what I saw.

"Ah, Ms. Lexington," he smiled sweetly, "You came at a perfect time."

"Did I?" She asked unsure. She tilted her head down and evaluated me. "Alys."

"Hello" I said uneasy.

"Is there something I can help you with?" she inquired again. My jaw tightened uncomfortably. Hayden had said that all I needed was in this room, I looked around suddenly unsure of what it was; I already had all my own pencils and papers. What else would I need for my drawings?

Hayden watched her patiently as she adjusted her grip on some books, until his voice broke through the air. It was gentle but somehow rough. "I believe you had inquired the school about the tribute?" He finally said. My eyes swiftly glanced to him; realizing it was she whom we needed. This all felt odd, confusing. I tried to keep any visual uncertainty devoid from my face as I racked my brain for answers. It was the word tribute that was familiar, I remembered quite a commotion about it a good few months back.

Ms. Lexington studied my face within these few seconds since Hayden's words. Her brown eyes seemed to scan mine, interpreting my form as some thought turned within the back of her skull. "Yes, I had. But that was at the beginning of the year. It's too far gone now." She answered. But the man next to me didn't move; he watched her politely, ever encouraging her to keep the conversation going. Reluctantly though, as I could see her jaw tighten in slight annoyance.

"She's a brilliant artist," Ms. Lexington conceded to Hayden lightly, "I'll give you that. But I don't think Alys is capable. No offense hun," she waved lightly to me as she walked to her desks, "But you're blank, detached."

I had no idea what she was saying, so I kept my lips pressed thin. "And you," she stared down Hayden, "You are not in the least bit artistic. I know for a fact you can't do it. So why have you come here?"

Hayden had raised his eyebrows slightly at her accusations, but even so he laughed off her attitude. I wondered if he knew the truth about her. She purposely put the bite in her words; it would keep her from being walked over by students if they knew the true patience and compassion. And she was smart to put up such an illusion.

"Because in all honestly, I thought my school would have figured out something by now." he said coolly, and that sparked a slight irritation within her eyes. He continued as if he hadn't noticed. "The tribute was going to be revealed at the end of the year, though from what I remember it wasn't quite decided what form it would take. I believe you had voted for a mural?"

"Yes, I had." she crossed her arms. "I found a couple of students who would have been willing to help me, but they ended up backing out. That was at the beginning of the year though, and we're a few months off from the end. What do you two expect to do, paint a whole wall by yourselves?"

Hayden watched her patiently. "Of course not," he finally said. "I have no idea how to paint. It would be ridiculous to allow me to help that way."