The Most Annoying Wattpad Habits

If I offend you, I mean it unintentionally. After all, each of us make writing mistakes. I just have a list of things that really bug me on here, and even though I love this site I can't help but have an opinion. I will probably throw in a couple of recommendations too.

1. Wow, the world of not being recognised. I recently got an inbox from someone wanting me to read their story, and I did. Because they privately inboxed ME to read their book, they didn't advertise it on my works or force it down my throat. I am currently realising that this is a good way to get people to read your book. I hate the fact that books can have 20,000 reads, and yet be poorly written, have grammar mistakes and no plot whatsoever. There are books out there with 10 reads that are complex and excellent, just unrecognised. So check your list for undiscovered before going straight to hotness.

2. Predictable plots. Brother's best friend? Please. The very cliche and overused 'nerd girl tutors player/quarterback who has a Barbie girlfriend but they overcome it and end up living happily ever after' or the 'bad boy and good girl' I don't want to be a hypocrite because I have read books like this that I love, but at least put some twists and turns in to make it a little more interesting.

3. Girl goes to live with 7-10 gorgeous brothers and ends up with one of them. I never realised how many of these stories there were. The first one I read personally was Living with the Walker Boys by knightsrachel. But I'm not saying this was the first written. It was written beautifully and the characters were all good. There are so many copies with such similar names! They may be fantastic but they are all basically the same plot with different names. Although a similar plot, Surviving the McLane boys was excellent too.

4. One Direction stories. Some may be excellent, I don't personally like the band, but I don't hate them. But honestly, there is nothing else on fanfic. Every story is One Direction and it's a little ridiculous. All of the plots involve a girl who ends up living with the boys, having kids with the boys or kidnapping one of them. Some people clearly live out their fantasies in these books. Disturbing. *Shiver*

5. Derogatory and unnecessarily mean comments. If you dont like the story, don't read it. There is a difference between constructive criticism and just being bitchy because of your lack of writing talent.

6. Irregular updates. If you have fans, try and keep to a schedule.

7. 'Hot Guy Names' as I like to call them. Those names that only attractive people can pull off. The bad boy is always Cole or Ryder. Something like that. Other Hot Guy Names include - Carson, Dylan, Everett, Jake, Chase, Riley. Just some names I've come across that seem to reappear. However, I do like those names so a few will be used in my own works :3

8. When people cancel a story halfway through -_-. Cliffhangers kill me a little bit on the inside, imagine knowing you won't ever finish that cliff-hanger. If you know you're not going to be dedicated to your story, don't start it, or wait until it's complete to publish.

9. Non-capitalised book names. Each Letter Should Be Capitalized. Even A's. Don't be lazy and hit the damn shift key.

10. Those fans who try to advertise their books on your story and you're like "This is trespassing, if it was good enough in the first place I'd be able to find it without being on my story" Try sending a private inbox like I got :)

11. When you're like me, I don't really carry a particular interest about werewolves and such. So when I'm just scanning through TeenFic books for example, and I come across a really good book. I begin reading and I think, "Wow, this a cool story" and then BAM. All of a sudden, the girl is talking about mates, alphas and her family not knowing she's a wolf and I'm just sat there really bewildered like "Uh... Ok. Delete". It should be clear in the description what's happening. I don't want random dogs appearing halfway through my stories. I should know what I' going to read before I actually do.

12. When people put in different languages. I mean, it's ok when there's a translation somewhere in the book. A perfect example of this is The Bad Boy, Cupid And Me by Slim_Shady because there is a chapter where there's some French involved, but there are translations afterwards. In some books there is a multi-lingual use and I don't have a clue what it means and believe me, Google Translate does not help.

13. When authors don't hit the Enter key before speech. So the "whole massive paragraph" is like "this and no-one knows who" is talking and when "the speech has stopped and started."

14. People who only fan their friends. I mean, I appreciate that fanning your friends is ok, but I've seen people who have hundreds of fans, no works and no reading lists. And I just think that there are authors out there who try hard with their writing to get fans and don't get recognised.

15. I never actually realised that a good comment can make all the difference. Now I kind of understand why authors want people to comment, vote and fan. When someone gives you a good comment, it motivates you to write more and it makes you feel good that someone out there enjoys what you're writing. This also made me realise how much bad comments hurt. I mean, they can really affect the writer. Be careful because I've seen lots of books stop because they have been getting mean comments. It can affect the author more than you think, positively or negatively.

16. Mixing up words. This is seriously my worst pet hate ever. Some common ones are

- effects vs. affects. "I can't believe how much this effected me." no, it affected the character.

- waist vs. waste "The belt went around my waste" wrong.

- defiantly vs definitely "It's defiantly him" This is wrong because defiantly means to do something out of defiance, defying someone's orders.

17. Yes, the lyrics of your favourite song may be relevant to the story. We don't need the whole damn song in one chapter. When people put two or three lines of the song in the chapter with relevant information it doesn't bother me, but when people put in a good half of the song and you are forced to read it all, it gets boring.

18. Cast lists. These only annoy me because in a real book, you wouldn't have a cast. The characters are supposed to be created with a little supplied information and the rest should be left up to the reader's imagination.

19. "I wasn't ugly but I wasn't pretty. I was just average. I also had blonde hair." *applauds* well, thank you for that... insightful description. (sarcasm)If the characters are describing themselves then it should happen all the way through the book. No-one telling a story stays and describes their whole appearance in one go. They will wake up and comment on their hair, but another character could describe their eyes if you know what I mean. It's unlikely for a character to  describe themselves randomly in the book.

20. When names don't have capital letters. It makes me want to slap the author.

Thank you all for reading. I'll probably update this often :) Tell me your wattpad pet hates. x x