Chapter 3: First-Time Gamer

Start from the beginning

"Of course," Umio said. And the two left, leaving Neptune and Uzume to watch Nepgear.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

A short while later, Nepgear was in her room playing with her toys, which were colorful gear toys that could be put together in various ways. A good toy for someone who'd likes taking things apart and putting them together, such as little Nepgear.

Right then, Neptune and Uzume came back from the storage room. Both of them were carrying stuff, which caught Nepgear's attention.

"Hey, thanks for helping with this," Neptune said.

"Yeah, I mean, what's a household in Gamindustri without video games," Uzume said, holding the largest of the items, which to Nepgear was just a big box with glass on the front. "By the way, this is a really old school TV you have here."

"Well, you know." Neptune was holding a small box thingy, with some tinier, flat boxes, and some weird looking remotes with long rubber strings attached.

"What's that!?" Nepgear questioned, her curiosity taking over.

"Oh, this?" Neptune replied. "This is my old game console! I'm surprised that mom hasn't shown you this yet," she continued, oblivious to the fact Merci had almost mentioned that she needed to put it away yesterday, probably for good reason.

Nepgear, however, was simply amazed.

Uzume set down the TV in an open corner of the room, and she and Neptune began setting up the old console. Nepgear watched as wires were plugged into different things, and with a click, the big box's screen lit up.

"Woah..." Nepgear said in amazement.

"Yep, pretty cool, huh," Neptune told her. "Doesn't mom show you any movies or shows?"

"On her tablet thingy... I have to watch with her."

"That's fair. But you're being deprived of the world's number one past time," Uzume commented.

"Yeah, hey, do you want to play with me?" Neptune asked.

Nepgear eagerly nodded yes. Neptune smiled, and picked up a cartridge of something she thought her little sister might enjoy. Showing it to said girl, she found a picture with two cartoon animals on it, with a big 2 behind it. "Ooh..."

Neptune proudly inserted the cartridge into the console, flipped the switch on, and colorful moving images started appearing on the screen. While Nepgear stared in awe, Neptune handed her the controller.

Neptune started playing, going slowly as she tried to explain the controls to Nepgear, and let her keep up. Though Nepgear's character barely moved. Neptune was wondering if she was having a hard time figuring it out, when Uzume spoke out in her high-pitched voice.

"Ah, Lil' Gearsy's going all takey-aparty on the controller!"

Takey-aparty? What...? Neptune thought, as she looked over... to find Nepgear, rather than trying to play, had her screwdriver out and was trying to take apart the controller.

"Ah, ah, hey, little sis!" Neptune exclaimed, pausing the game. "That's not what you're supposed to do with that."

Nepgear looked and pouted, as Neptune grabbed the screwdriver, put it to the side, and helped put the controller in the right position in the little girl's hands (while Uzume cleared her throat).

"Okay, let me show what the buttons do," Neptune said. "These ones move your character." She helped Nepgear push down on the control pad, and she showed her how the character on the screen moved in response. "And this button makes him jump!" And with a push of a button, the character jumped.