sad

12 | twelve

At nine when the sky had darkened, Stacey had her binders littered across the coffee table as she sat cross-legged in front of it on the floor. The TV played quietly in the background as she studied, fingers flicking through the numerous pages.

She had a lamp on beside her that was spreading light into the sitting room but other than that with the glare of the TV – it was dark. She was wearing baggy sweatpants and a school hoodie with its name stamped across the front.

She was memorizing and writing things down when the front door opened.

When she glanced behind her, she heard giggling. From the sitting room, the door was open a little so that she could see into the hall and a little bit of the stairs.

Stacey watched as her mom walked into the house and shushed who must have been Stacey's dad behind her. Her mom was laughing and it seemed like she was mildly drunk.

Her mom grabbed onto her dad's arm and they stumbled into each other drunkenly, placing sloppy kisses on each other.

Stacey sighed and was about to look away when the two of them started up the stairs and the hall light shone on their faces.

And Stacey watched as her mom dragged a man upstairs that was definitely not her dad.

for more follow tahliepurvisauthor on instagram