Part 3: Danger is Only Attractive in Fantasies

Sunday, September 10th, 1989: I spent all night and morning thinking about my date with Axl. It started out good and went very bad when I saw that he carries a knife on him. That's so dangerous. Danger is only attractive in a man in fantasies. In real life it's scary. 

        As I was putting on my stockings to get ready to go to Church that morning, my mom came into my room to tell me I had a phone call. I sighed because I already knew who it must be. "Who is this friend Axl anyway?" my mom asked when I took the phone. "Just a friend." I told her. When she left my room I answered the phone.

        "I don't want to be just a friend, Brooke." Axl said on the other end. "Well I'm sorry, Axl, but that's probably all we can ever be. You scared me last night." "I defended you and protected you against those goons and you're afraid of me? You should be thanking me." he said. "Well thank you for keeping me safe but I think this is the end of our friendship." "I don't think so. I want to see you today. What are you doing?" "I'm going to Church now. My dad is a pastor at Fellows of Grace and so we have to go every Sunday." I said.

        "I guess a good godly man like that wouldn't approve of me? A knife wielding, leather wearing rock star?" Axl said. "No, I don't think he would." "I want to see you today." he said again. "Look, I'm sorry but I really can't talk now. We're leaving." "Brooke, can we-" I hung up and noticed my hands were shaking. I just hung up on Axl Rose. I thought. I wish I could call him back and apologize but then he'd just insist on seeing me some more and I can't do that.

        My mom, my dad, and I went to Church together. Since I was an only child and dad was part of the sermon, my mom and I always sat together in the front row. The choir went up on stage and started singing. I auditioned for the choir a week ago and made it. I've been practicing and will get to have my first performance in two weeks.

        Halfway through the third song someone came and stood beside me where there was an empty seat. At first I kept focused on singing along but their presence was too much to ignore. I looked over and saw Axl standing there clapping his hands along with the rest of us. He looked over at me, smiled, and winked at me.

        My heart dropped into my stomach. The song ended and we took our seats but I couldn't take my eyes off of him. What is he doing here?! I thought. "You happy to see me?" Axl whispered. When my dad's voice came on the microphone, I quickly looked away and tried to pay attention to the sermon.

        That would have been easy to do if I hadn't felt Axl's hand on my leg. I looked down and saw him stroking my thigh. In Church! In front of my parents! I slapped his hand away and crossed my legs. He had a grin on his face. "Don't try that innocent act with me. I know you like it." he whispered in my ear. I cringed and tried to scoot away from him. "Stop it. You're going to cause a scene." I whispered back.

        Every time Church ends my parents always mingle with the other grown-ups there. Since they were busy talking, I took the opportunity to take Axl outside to have a few words with him. "Let's say we get out of here? I'll take you anywhere you want to go." he said. "Are you crazy?! Touching me like that in Church! That is the House of the Lord! Have some respect!" 

        "Well I'm sorry. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Plus it was kinda fun doing it in front of your parents and they didn't even notice." he said laughing. "This is not a joke! I take this stuff very seriously and you obviously don't! I told you I didn't want to see you! What do I have to do to make you understand that?!" I yelled.

        Axl sighed and cupped my face in his hands. "If I really hurt you that badly, Brooke, then I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I really thought you would enjoy it. Most girls would." "Well I'm not like most girls." "I know, I realize that. And I'm glad you aren't. I'm sorry I did that."

        I took his hands away. "It's okay. I guess I can forgive you." "With a kiss?" he asked with a smile. "With a goodbye." I said then went back inside.