Chapter thirty-seven

Present

As became usual for the last week, Leah would often hang out in the restaurant while Lily and Oliver worked. As Lily cleaned up after the closing, Leah sat at the bar. She was reading a book. Although she still felt unsuccessful in flipping the novel pages, Lily would help her.

"I thought, I might find you here," the woman spoke while stepping into the restaurant.

"I'm sorry the restaurant is closed already," Lily said, polishing a wine glass.

The sweet smell filled the space as the woman moved closer to the bar. "That gives us time to speak, Lily."

"Do I know you?" Lily asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

The woman sat down in front of Lily, placing her bag and a small box on top of the bar. Leah stood up and inspected the woman. She wore a lady suit; she appeared to be in her late fifties or early sixties. Subtle makeup adorned her round face. But the perfume, the woman, wore what got Leah's attention. The scent felt very familiar and Leah had trouble placing it.

"Not yet," the woman spoke in a calm tone. "But I know you, Lily Miller." The woman sat on the stool.

Leah felt sure she knew the woman, as the voice seemed so familiar. "I know her from somewhere," she said, stepping behind the bar, closer to Lily.

Lily nodded, acknowledging what Leah said. "How do you know me?" She placed a glass above the bar.

"Well, when my daughter complained about a new girl messing with my business and seemingly messing with a man she likes, I decided to look into it." The woman smiled. "And your name seemed so familiar and to my surprise, we met before." The woman raised her eyebrow.

"I don't think we did." Lily shook her head.

"It's her!" Leah yelled. "I recognize her voice."

"I brought you a gift," the woman said, sliding the small box closer to Lily. "Open it. I think you will find it quite surprising, as all gifts should be."

Digesting what Leah said, Lily stared at the woman. She took a box with shaky hands while the woman watched her face. The crate seemed simple, white, and silver-colored; it had a small, thin white bow on the top. Lily ran her fingers over the lid, feeling the unevenness of the box surface. A small gasp left her lips as she noticed the content of the case.

The items were stacked on top of each other. First was her black wallet, Lily recognized it immediately. She took out her wallet and noticed Leah's blue purse. The box's bottom held two phones and two passports. Lily once more stared at the woman, not knowing what to say.

"I'm glad my gift left you speechless," the woman spoke. "I believe we established the point of my visit." Lily nodded in response. "You and Oliver meddling in my business is not a good idea." Her tone seemed firmer. "For the sake of my daughter, I'm giving you twenty-four hours." She looked at her golden watch. "The countdown starts now."

"Giving us twenty-four hours, for what?" Lily regained the ability to speak.

"To leave town and forget everything that happened," the woman said, gliding from the stool.

"And if we won't leave?" Lily's voice seemed unsteady.

"I believe you will." The woman smiled. "We wouldn't want anything to happen to the two of you. It's tragic how young people can die so unexpectedly. And poor James Brown, he lost his daughter already, and the loss of his son would feel like the last drop. Don't you think, darling?" Leah gulped and nodded. "And you darling, you lost two friends in such a tragic way, it might take you over the edge. We both know how weak your psychological state can get."