Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Cressida Gurule

For those of you who haven't read this story, I am currently in the process of editing and making it look and sound better.

Chapter 1

    I looked outside. The rain dripped down the glass. It looked as though a giant was crying his eyes out.

Today was February 14th, Valentine's Day. Nothing ever good happens on valentines day. The first Valentines day that we every had, my dad got laid off. The second he did again. The third my mom caught him having an affair. The fourth, he left. Then he tried to kill my mom about halfway through the year. The fifth, my cat died. The sixth, I broke my arm. The 7th, we moved and my dad got out of jail. The eight, My great grandmother died. The 9th, we learned my dad was sentenced to life in jail for murdering his girlfriend. The tenth, we moved again. The eleventh, we learned Kevin (My brother) was going to have to retake 1st grade. The twelveth, Kevin got suspended. The thirteenth, my mom(Hannah) had a heart attack. The fourteenth my best friend died. On the fifthteenth, we learned that Kevin started using drugs. The six teenth our grandma died. And nothing bad has happened today, so maybe it will be okay.

But I still had my doubts. It seemed that luck had it's way on Valentine's Day with our family, and it wasn't good at all.

"KEVIN! Dinner's ready", I looked around. I had made Mac-and-Cheese for him. Personally, I hated the stuff. But he loved it.

"KEVIN"!!!!! I sighed. I walked up to his room to see what he was doing. Probably on his old used computer playing a video game. That was really all we could aford at the moment.

 I looked around. He wasn't in here. That's odd. Well, not really. Maybe he snuck out to another party. But in the rain? I doubt it. Sometimes he goes and crys in the bathroom, but that means something must have happened. I started to have a mini heart attack.

I checked the bathroom. Nope, he wasn't in there. But there was a sheet of paper on the table that he must have printed at school. It showed how to break someone's arm. I crumpled it up up and threw it away.

I picked it back up.

 I will have to show this to mom. Kevin doesn't listen at all. He isn't allowed to print anything at school, because last year he was caught printing out pictures of guns.

Was he outside? He sometimes goes out there when it is raining.

 Kevin wasn't outside fighting again, was he? He was, wasn't he? I was supposed to look after him! Today we had school off for a teacher work day. Witch was a little odd because it was Valentine's Day. So most us didn't get to see our boyfriends and girlfriends.

 Mom was going to kill me! I really needed to get paid for babysitting him so me and Lizzy could go to the mall later. So much for that idea. Maybe this is what will go wrong this Valentine's Day.

I hoped my mom would still pay me. Crap.

I rolled my eyes. That's all I was worried about? What about Kevin?

    I was scared Kevin might have gotten hurt already, but he is a strong fighter. And, of course, this was all my fault for encouraging him to join the wrestling team. My mom knew it was a bad idea. But, I always cause problems!! Well she thinks that at least.

 I looked out the window again. And sure enough, i saw his straight, long, brown hair. It went down to his shoulders. It was sort-of like Justin Bieber's hair, but longer.

The rain had picked up it's pace. I heard Tapp-Tapp-Tapp-Tapp-Tapp, all in one quick motion. That couldn't be good for the house.

I saw his opponent (As Kevin would call him). Josh was a kid who lived in our neighborhood that was apart of the local gang. Kevin was always fighting with them, and most of the time it was three or four against him. He was always looking for a new way to defeat them. Most of the time the gang had weapons, so that never turned out good.

 It was raining very badly but i knew i needed to stop the fight. I remember when things were nice around here. Dad wasn't gone, and the local gang hadn't moved in yet. But Kevin wasn't even 3 yet .

(Flashback) (Second person point of view)

"Mommy, Mommy who are those boys moving in across the street?"

Hannah looked outside the window.

She saw what frightened her the most about our neighborhood, gangs.

She also saw that they had kids and wife's. The house across the street was a 2 bed/2 bath house. There was 5 men, 6 women, and about 10 kids. 

Hannah reconised some of the women and men from high school. They were apart of the gang that patrolled the Denver area, and were always in jail.

Great, she thought. Just what we need. It's no longer safe to let my daughter play outside with her brother. Wait, when was it ever?

"Mommy?" Little 6 year old Cressida said as she gazed outside the window.

"Oh, Sorry honey. Lost in thought. Those are some boys you want to stay away from, okay?"

"Okay." Cressida said. "But why?"

"Just do as i say, okay honey?"

Cressida nodded her head.

The part that scared Hannah the most was that the little boys looked about Kevins age.

She hoped they wouldn't have to grow up together.

(End of flashback)

I walked outside in the poring rain, and as soon as Kevin and Josh saw me, they dropped there hands..

" Kevin get your butt in the house now! And for you Josh i am going to be calling your mother! How many times have i told you two not to fight This stuff needs to stop now or one of you is going to get seriously hurt!"

"You can call my mom if you want baby." Mike replied smirking. Mike was going into 9Th grade next year. And he like me because I was a sophomore. Ugh gross.

 I glared at him. I was too cold to say anything. I ran towards the front door, a scowl on my face as I ran.

I walked in side the house dripping from all the rain. I looked at Kevin, he looked at me, and then we both looked away. That was awkward. I almost laughed, but then I remembered the situation.

A smile faded off my face as I looked at him.

"Kevin, how many times have I told you? Stop getting involved in the gang! You know they aren't good. And you can't take them down by your self! There'swhat, thirty members? And if I know a thing or two about gangs, It's that they never stop trying to get you! Mom is going to kill both of us! Remember what she said last time you got in a fight at school and got suspended? She said the next time you get in a fight, She is going to send you to boarding school! And you know we don't have enough money for that! I mean look at our house. We live in a bad neighborhood, and we can barley pay the bills! Why can't you just think about someone other than yourself for once!" I started to cry. I was very mad at Kevin.

"I-I'm sorry. He just started antaginizing me off so i punched him and we started beating the crap out of each other. I am sorry. It won't happen again."

"That's bull crap!" I told him. " I bet by tomorrow you will have another fight with some kid around the neighborhood."  I walked away.

"JUST SHUT UP! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW FREAKING HARD IT IS DEALING WITH THEM ALL OF THE TIME! DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM ME!!" He screamed from behind me.

I turned around, and then continued walking.

That night when mom came home, she was already irritated. I checked my watch, 7:27 P.M. I flipped open my phone and saw I had a text from Lizzy. It said 'Pickin You Up At 8. Be Ready' I was glad I made dinner early.

"Mom, Kevin got into another fight today. I don't what to do. I was sitting by the front door the entire time, reading my book on wattpad, and somehow he still got out! I looked for any damage but i didn't seem to find any. If you don't want to pay me, that's okay."

"Well, I owe you $50, you earned $20 tonight and i will give you $10 for dinner. Have fun and be careful. Love you. I almost forgot, here is an extra $50 for gas. Keep the change.

"Thanks mom, I love you too. bye" I stepped out the front door. The mall is always fun, right?