Chapter Four

Pov Willow

"Happy birthday, little man!" I scream, swinging Cody around like a rag doll. He giggles and eventually manages to escape my hold. "Thanks, Mom." He laughs at me, before joining Byran in the living room. It was just a party of four. Me and May were obviously here, and Cody only hangs out with Byran. Since I wasn't close with my family, and Sarah's family wasn't in the picture, that left just our little group of misfits. Cody didn't seem to mind, but that didn't stop me from feeling bad because he was missing out on having that big get together.

We sat huddled around the TV, stuffing our faces with cake and ice cream while watching the United States crush Chile. To say we were on a role would have been an understatement. These girls were on fire. I'm happy that it looks like they'll be achieving a win on Cody's birthday.

Me and Cody jump out of our seats when Carli scores a second time in the 35th minute. Bringing the US to a score of 3-0. May was over quite often, so she was used to our loud voices by now. Or maybe she just couldn't hear us as clearly due to her hearing failure. Byran on the other hand looked as if he just saw a ghost, and not a friendly Casper. He was a couple inches taller than Cody, but it was impossible to tell with the way he sunk into the couch. "Sorry, Byran." Cody apologized. Patting his friends head like a dog. Messing up his long brown hair.

Byran clears his throat, as he attempts to regain his composure. "It's fine. Just a little startled. I don't think I ever realized how much you guys liked soccer." He says sheepishly. Scratching the back of his head.

As the game progressed, it didn't seem like we'd get any more goals. The second half was rather dull. A few close calls, but it amounted to nothing. The score remained at 3-0 in favor of the US. With the only other goal from Julie Ertz in the 26th minute and Tierna Davidson stacking up on the assists.

Byran had gotten picked up by his father before it finished, but he didn't peg me as much of a soccer fan. So, there were no hurt feelings. May left after the game concluded. Wanting to check on Kevin and visit her sister until she had to depart for her trip to London.

Before Cody could get off the couch, I stopped him with a firm grip on his t-shirt. Pulling him towards me. "Hold up a minute, kiddo. I wanna give you something." I say, pulling an envelope out of my pocket. It had been with me all day, until I decided on the right moment to bring it out. I slid it across the coffee table, so it was directly in front of him.

Cody gave me a curious look, but ultimately picked up the paper casing and ripped it open. I sat there smiling as he stared at the contents with wide eyes. "Are these what I think they are?" He says breathlessly. Rubbing his fingers over the glossy stock paper. "You're not just pulling my leg, right?

"Cody, that would be a cruel joke. No, those are actual tickets. We fly out tomorrow afternoon and we'll have a couple days to explore France until the game on Thursday." I confirm. Going over the finer details in my head.

The newly turned ten year old lunges across the couch. The hard tackle taking us both to the floor as his short arms grip my sides in a bone crushing embrace. Damn this kid is strong. "You're the best mom ever." He mumbles into my neck. We end up laying there for a bit, enjoying the silence as I rub circles across his back. Once the moment paces, we turn the station over to cartoons and polish off the ice cream.