𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

You and the rest of the first-years follow the woman inside a large hall, where what looked like hundreds of other students were seated at four long tables.

They were all dressed in dark robes and long, pointy hats and were surveying each and every one of you. All of them stared and craned their necks for a better view, making you even more anxious.

You were walking beside Hermione to her left, trying to distract yourself from all of the staring by gawking at the starry ceiling instead. There were floating candles suspended in the air, and you briefly wonder if melted wax would fall on top of you. You certainly hope not.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's bewitched to look like the night sky," Hermione informs you. "I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."

You nodded, still gaping at the ceiling in awe.

The woman leads all of you to the front, where an old-looking hat was sitting on a stool. Behind it was an elevated long table where other adults sat. You assume that they were the staff and the old man in the middle, sitting on what looked like a golden chair, was the headmaster.

"Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

The old man in the middle stands up. His voice was feeble, yet it was loud enough to be heard across the now silent hall. "I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first-years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

You and Hermione exchanged concerned looks at the end of the speech.

Professor Dumbledore takes a seat and the woman instantly speaks again as she opens the parchment. "When I call your name, you come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head," she said while lifting the said hat on the chair with her free hand, "and you will be sorted into your house."

She looks at the paper. "Hermione Granger."

Hermione takes a deep breath. She glances at you as you pat her back while muttering 'good luck' to her. She nods before walking to the front while mumbling to herself.

"Mental, that one, I'm telling you," Ron said to Harry. He shuts up when he sees you glaring at him, to which he shoots you an apologetic smile that looks more like a grimace.

You watch on as Hermione sits on the stool and the Sorting Hat was promptly placed on her head. A face suddenly appeared on it.

"Ah, right then...hmm...right. Okay. Gryffindor!" The Sorting Hat announces.

The people seated on the second table to your right begins to cheer. Hermione hops off the stool, flashes you one last smile before hurrying to that table. You bit the inside of your cheek, hoping that you'll end up in the same house as Hermione.

"Draco Malfoy!"

The sorting continues from there. Malfoy was in Slytherin, a girl named Susan Bones was in Hufflepuff, Ron was in Gryffindor and Harry—after a few minutes of the Sorting Hat struggling—was decided to be put in Gryffindor as well. He was beaming as he made his way to Ron, happy that the Sorting Hat didn't place him in Slytherin.

"(Y/n) (L/n)."

You felt your heart skip a beat. You gulp as you made your way to the stool, glancing at the Gryffindor table every now and then. You swear you saw someone giving you a thumbs-up, but your sights were too unfocused at the moment to see their face clearly.

You take a seat, watching as the Sorting Hat was put on your head. It slips past your eyes, engulfing you in darkness momentarily. Not that you minded. You hear a few girls from the table nearest to you coo at the way the Sorting Hat was too big for your head. You feel your face heat up.

"Hmm..." It contemplates.

You clasp your now sweaty hands together, anticipating its next words.

"Hufflepuff!"

You felt your heart drop.

The table beside Gryffindor cheers. You hop off the stool as soon as the Sorting Hat was snatched from your head. You steal a longing glimpse at their table as you made your way to Hufflepuff's.

Hermione was frowning as she follows you with her gaze, obviously disappointed with the outcome. Ron and Harry caught your eyes, the latter smiling at you and the redhead giving you a small wave. Now that you looked at the table closer, you notice that there were other redheads there. Were those twins you spotted?

Wait...

Your heart swells automatically when a familiar-looking boy waves at you from their table.

Oliver. So he does go to Hogwarts. Now you were really disappointed.

As sad as you were, your dampened mood was improved by the older Hufflepuff students who greeted you warmly, shaking your hand and patting your back as you sat beside Susan Bones at the table.

"Welcome!"

"Feel free to ask any questions if you're confused."

"You'll love it here in Hufflepuff!"

Despite being apart from familiar faces, you genuinely enjoyed your new company.

The sorting continues, and you took note that the boy with the Irish accent (who you found out to be named Seamus Finnigan) and his friend (Dean Thomas) from the train were sent to Gryffindor. Neville Longbottom was also with them.

You and Susan got to know each other as the food was magically served in front of you afterwards. There were roasted beef, potatoes and chicken as far as the eye can see. A female Hufflepuff suggested her favorite dishes and even served them to you and Susan, which you were both extremely grateful for.

And apparently, ghosts existed as they suddenly flooded inside the hall, shocking the first-years. Needless to say, the table had been very lively after you saw Nearly Headless Nick. You did enjoy meeting Hufflepuff's ghost, who goes by the name of Fat Friar, as he welcomed you to his house.

Sadly, you didn't get to say goodbye to Hermione or say hello to Oliver as you went separate ways after dinner, but you made a promise to yourself that you'll make up to them somehow. Right now, you were having a good laugh with the most friendliest people you've ever met.

Maybe things won't be so bad in Hufflepuff.