↠ Stuck In The Middle ↞

A/N: I love this song and I definitely didn't do it justice. However, this is pretty cute I guess?

>>>

Someday things will be perfect, it will be worth it all this time

Luke was always the black sheep in the family, in his circle of friends. His whole life consisted of being different, and being looked down upon.

His two brothers were doing so well for themselves. They had an education, secure jobs, and were both planning on starting families. The majority of his friends had significant others, had moved out of their parents' places, had their own lives.

But not Luke.

He still lived in the room he had grown up in. He was in college, sure, and he had a small job in the nearby cafe, but that was nothing compared to the people that surrounded him - and everyone was always sure to remind him of that.

Everyone was always sure to remind him of the fact that he was working at minimum wage. Everyone was always sure to remind him that he was still living with his parents. Everyone was always sure to remind him that he was the clumsiest, most uncoordinated person ever. Everyone was always sure to remind him that he was alone, and that was probably due to the fact that he was gay. Everyone was always sure to remind him of what a failure he was.

Well, almost everyone.

There was one person that always had his back. That always pulled him out of the slumps he invariably managed to find himself in. That was always, always on his side.

And that person was no one other than Calum Hood.

Calum and Luke had been best friends since practically forever. He was the one friend that Luke had managed to keep, despite his stupidity. Calum never failed to make Luke feel like he was special, like he was needed. Calum held a special place in Luke's heart.

But recently, that "special" place was becoming a lot more romantic than platonic.

Luke's feelings were freaking him out. He couldn't afford to lose Calum over something as stupid as feelings, but at the same time, he wanted to risk his luck and see if Calum felt the same. People often joked that they were a couple and Calum never took those jokes too bad, so maybe Luke had a chance. Maybe.

But maybe he had a chance to royally screw everything up. Calum could hate him. Calum could stop talking to him, he could find him disgusting, and that would break Luke.

So here he was, lying on his bed, wide awake well past midnight, thinking about the possibilities. He was stuck in the middle of two decisions, and he didn't know what to do. He hated having to make a decision, especially one like this. This could make it or break it for him and Calum, and he couldn't afford for that to happen.

He desperately wanted Calum to himself. He wanted his hugs to last longer. He wanted to kiss Calum's forehead and kiss his lips and kiss every inch of his body. He wanted to be Calum's.

But he was scared. If Calum rejected him, he didn't know what he would do, because things would be too awkward to go back to the way they had been. Calum would stop hanging out with him, he would stop wanting to associate with him, and Luke knew that was going to shatter him. Calum could potentially destroy him as easily as he rebuilds him.

These were the thoughts that kept him up at night. These were the thoughts that got under Luke's skin and refused to leave his mind. Take a risk and truly become Calum's, or have him hate you/find you weird for the rest of your life? Luke couldn't take a chance with those types of outcomes.