Chapter 40: Clove

I wake up to Cato watching me sleep, as usual and he laughs awkwardly. He smiles and strokes my hair. I smile up at him and kiss his lips softly. He slides his hand onto my back and rubs my back softly. I sit up and purposely fall back onto him with a loud groan escaping his mouth. I roll over onto him and watch him in mock pitty.

"Did I hurt you, big bad Cato?" I ask innocently and casually. He smiles and nods weakly.  I get up off of him and skip to the bathroom to get changed. I slip onto my "day clothes" and brush my teeth quickly. I step out and Cato's done getting dressed. I grab his hand and he smiles, leading me to the Dining Hall. I sit next to him, where else, and across from Peeta.

"Hey Clove, how are you" Peeta asks carefully and I smile up at Cato innocently. Katniss sits awkwardly next to Peeta and he flinches nervously. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who saw it and he quickly hides it. Cato glares at him and I roll my eyes.

"I'm good, I guess. I have a squad now so that's good" I say happily as I grab Cato's hand. He glares even harder at Peeta. I laugh at him quickly but calm myself down when the food comes. I smile at the cooks and eat the bland bread and smear. I finish quietly with my hand still in Cato's and smile.

"Clove what are you going to do later?" Peeta asks in mock romance. I smile at Cato who looks like he might burst. I squeeze his hand tightly and he sighs, still angry.

"Cato, calm down" I say playfully "You and I both know that I am all yours" I say seductively but with a smile. He laughs and holds me close. I hear Peeta whistles playfully and laughs with Katniss, at us. I laugh with them but Cato will not stop glaring at all of us now.

"Come on Cato, you heard her. She's all yours" Peeta says calmly but still jokingly. I smile up at him and Cato kisses my lips quickly. I smile in the kiss and let go of his hand to hop in his lap playfully. He holds me close to him and Katniss looks away obviously embarrassed. 

"We should get doing" I say smiling. They both nod and I lead Cato back to our room. I sit on the bed and Cato sits next to me with a huff. "Clove, please don't joke about these things" he says sternly but looking sad. I look over to him confused.

"But we know it's true. I'm yours and only yours" I say painfully. He smiles sweetly and kisses my forehead. I smile at him but a knock interrupts our almost kiss.

"Clove, Cato Coin needs to talk to you about you mission" I smile and grab Cato's hand while we follow Boggs to the meeting room. I sit across from Coin and next to Cato as she looks over some files, one of which has a picture of me right after being rescued. My bruises and scratches evident on my face. I shutter quickly and she closes them quietly after.

"I have a few questions for you two before we send you off into actual battle" she says looking us over, almost disappointed "Would you like to be in the same squad as Katniss and Peeta?" I shrug, it would be fun but I want revenge and they would be too distracting.

"Absolutely not" Cato says almost completely seriously. I smile and roll my eyes and Coin nods.

"Okay, no then. Also what type of fighting would you like to do? We have slots open for attack, defense or spy-like positions" I smile and look at Cato excitedly.

"Attack" we say in unison. I smile at him and Coin nods taking notes.

"Okay. Remember your squad number is 22S" she says typing in her final notes and closing her tablet. She gestures for us to leave and Boggs takes that as a cue to escort us out.

"Do you know what time it is?" I ask halfway to our room "And when we will we leave?" I add carefully. Boggs checks his watch and tells me it's around 6:30 and we will leave in 2 days. I smile excitedly and we get to our room. I walk up to Dagger and pat her soft fur. She pants and whines and I can't help but smiling. Cato sits on the bed and I lay next to him. He twirls my hair in his fingers and I sigh into him.

"Should we get dinner?" I ask sweetly and he shakes his head bitterly. I look into his eyes showing my confusion and he laughs lightly.

"They were annoying at breakfast. I need time to calm down" he says sweetly. I lay next to him boredly and roll over so I'm laying on him. I fall asleep quickly and wake up slightly startled.

"I'll be right back" I say getting up to put on some shorts and a tank to sleep in. I wash my body and brush my teeth. I braid my now shorter and choppy hair until it's as frizzy as it could be. I force it into a tight bun and walk back to Cato, shirtless again, but I'm not complaining. I smile awkwardly at him and he laughs. I lay on the bed and roll over non-stop until I bump into Cato's hard body and he grabs me gently. I squeal excitedly and he kisses me all over. I lay onto his chest and sigh loudly. 

"Night" I say kissing him softly and turning away from him for more comfortable sleep.