31. An Interview

His touch lingered on Annika's lips for days to come. She realized all but one thing: like the unpredictable man he was, his kisses could not be predicted too. Apparently he took permission only the first time. The second came as a surprise and now she could all but wait for the third one.

Realizing how cheap her train of thoughts was, she reprimanded herself and focused back on her classes. If her focus was on Shivaay at home, her focus was on Dev in class. Of course, they were for completely different reasons. Her womanly brain couldn't be more curious about Dev's intense dislike towards Shivaay. For now, she listened as Dev talked about having an interview in a once topmost company that was now left with an acting CEO with a few of their classmates. He wanted to know who the acting CEO was for it was the only thing he did not know about the company he was interviewing for.

Annika would have been an alien to the notion of acting CEO had Shivaay not been handling the very position in Kabeer Industries for the time being. She wanted to advise Dev about being more prudent about figuring out information about a company he would be interviewing with. She stopped short, reminding herself of the facts.

***

In the evening, Shivaay returned to find her neck-deep in notes and books inside her newly made study. He knocked and she let him inside. Her notes were all over the place reminding him of the day he saw a similar situation in his bedroom. He shook his head in disbelief.

"Um," she searched for words, "Come in."

"It's okay," he stood at the door, afraid of the mess she created inside, "I had only two things to tell you."

"Yes?"

"I will be in your Dad's office tomorrow to conduct some interviews," he began.

"If I am not wrong, the human resources department conducts interviews, right?" she interrupted him.

"Right," he said, "Still, the position is such that I want to oversee the interviews myself. Plus I asked Khanna to run a background check on all of them two weeks ago, but the guy messed up. The reports will be late and if I am not wrong, they are supposed to come in between the interviews. I don't want more delays. And that's another reason I want to be there tomorrow. By the way, I was thinking, why don't you join me too?"

"Huh?"

"Yes, I get that you are studying, but at this time you need to have a feel of work-life too, I believe. I understand that you don't need to work-study, but in the end, it's going to benefit you," he tried to explain his point.

"You are right," she agreed after seconds of thinking, "In this way, I will get a degree but I may feel less confident when I enter the workplace. I was thinking to get an internship"
"Internship?" he asked, "When you own such a big company, why do you need to work under someone else?"

"Why? Will you be ashamed if your wife works in a low post job?" Annika asked.

"Look, don't bring your profession in our personal life," Shivaay warned, "I only want you to learn what your position demands. Let's not waste time and energy behind learning menial tasks that will hardly benefit you in the future. If you start at entry-level now, you won't understand the gimmicks of being an executive until twenty more years. If you start low, you will remain low."
"Shivaay, you don't understand what I am trying to say. Like you said a while ago: I need to start in the workplace simultaneous to my studies: internships, entry-level work, all of those sorts."

"Nah, I didn't mean that. You are meant to lead, you will join as the CEO as soon as you are qualified enough as in the executive MBA degree you are working towards. When I said experience, I meant you to start shadowing me and learn the styles of managing a company. You are not for those stupid entry-level jobs."